Running is a big question mark that’s there each and every day. It asks you, ‘Are you going to be a wimp or are you going to be strong today?' - Peter Maher, Irish-Canadian Olympian

Friday, June 22, 2007

Friday Mish Mash

There will be no continuity or theme to this post. You have been warned.

I made a new logbook for letterboxing. I let the husb pick out the paper and he chose it based on color and that the pattern looks like stamps.
This is the second personal logbook I have made. I am pretty happy with how it came out. The cover paper didn't go on the book board exactly smooth. I think it was a little thin. I like the ribbon bookmark though. That will make it really easy to find my next pages instead of thumbing through them all with grubby hands.

My dogs are pissing me off. They took to raw feeding like, well......, like greyhounds to running :-) I started them off with turkey and chicken. Then I branched out into pork and beef heart. My thinking was they would get a chicken back or turkey neck for their evening meal followed by pork trim (60 lbs for $.93/lb - woo hoo!) or beef heart ($.49/lb!). Nice and balanced, right? Lots of meat and a little bone. Sounds perfect in theory. In reality, once they tasted the pork trim and the beef heart, no way are they going to be bothered with chicken and turkey. Freaking Momo almost knocked me over and chewed off my hand once trying to get at the beef heart! New rule: they only get the pork and beef after they eat the chicken. So, I throw the chicken backs out in the yard and all I get are pacy, whiny dogs up against the kitchen door. They are pitiful. Give us our pork and beef! I have tried stuffing the beef and pork in the chicken back and turning it upside down in the grass. They just work it over to get the good stuff. Today, I was so disgusted, I just left the chicken backs, fermenting in the yard. Hey, my neighbors already think I am a freak when I cleavered a whole 18 lb. turkey in half and threw the halves out in the yards for the dogs to eat. You think they are going to care about a couple of little chicken backs? Eventually, the dogs did eat the chicken after they sat out there for 2 1/2 hours. Guess we are going to see if all those raw feeders who maintain dogs can handle high bacteria loads in their food are right. Actually, I think Cosmo went out there and ate his when I told him we were running 4 miles tomorrow.

The husb got all four wisdom teeth out today so I have been playing nursemaid. Don't have the little outfit and I thought that would disappoint him. Turns out he could care less what I am wearing as long as I bring the painkiller at the appointed time. I don't handle teeth stuff very well. Driving him there this morning, I had to fight off a root canal anxiety attack with breathing exercises. Jen found that hilarious. He has handled this like a champ, impressing me very much. Also impressing me is his remarkable physical and vocal resemblence (at least on his left side) to a puffy, jowly, Marlon Brando/Vito Corleone/Godfather 1. His voice is low, raspy, lips barely moving when he speaks. Last impressive fact about this whole ripping teeth out episode was that the doctor just called to check on him - 9:15 on a Friday night. First time for that in my book.

ETA: One last little item of insanity. I don't know what the hell is the matter with us but W and I were talking Thursday on our run about doing a half. We both agree if we can get to the point where our midweek runs are regularly 5+ miles and increase our distance on the weekend runs, we think it is do-able. Especially if we bite the bullet and join the gallow-walkers. Don't know - just something to think about and ponder. I told her if we did it, it would have to be some huge race with both a half and a full marathon and lots of walkers, maybe in early 2008. We also talked about doing another tri, maybe as a team. She immediately nailed me for the swim leg. I was actually thinking, 'ok' and then I remembered what it is like to swim in an open water, mass start.

No thanks.
And just incase you think the above is a joke or exaggeration:

Double no thanks. Guess it comes down to the fact that I am tough enough to have done 3 sprint tris but not tough enough to love them and keep doing them. I wonder if I am tough enough for 13.1.

5 comments:

All my tomorrows said...

Sure you are. Tuff enough, that is (now you have that Fabulous Thunderbirds song running through my head "Ain't that tuff enuff? Aint' that tuff enuff" :-)) .

Hmmmmm..think about doing the Houston 1/2 in Jan. It's flat. It's fast. They give you 4 hours (?) to finish....I'll run it with ya!

bazu said...

I love the paper you used for the book- so pretty!
Oooooh, wisdom teeth. I had 2 of mine taken out in January, and it was a while before I felt normal again. Get well soon, Andrew! Keep poppin' those pills. They seriously saved my sanity.

Anonymous said...

A half marathon??? OMG, you rock!!!

Your logbook is beautiful. :o)

Poor Andrew... hope he's feeling better today!

Jen

Sue said...

And you want me to do the tri!!! Next year, Bridget and You better help me train like the guy in the first video or I will never be ready!!!

KleoPatra said...

You are tough enough! And now i've got that tune running through my head.

Hope the teef-taking from Andrew hasn't taken too much out of him (or you) and that he's on the road to a swift recovery. It ain't fun, i know that first hand!!

Run, Trac, run. You are doing so well. i hope you realize that...