Running is a big question mark that’s there each and every day. It asks you, ‘Are you going to be a wimp or are you going to be strong today?' - Peter Maher, Irish-Canadian Olympian

Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Midweek musings

I have not run in a week.

I had my first ever panic attack, lying in the endodontist office, waiting for a root canal.

I had my second ever panic attack, a week later, in same endodontist office, during my second visit.

Through extreme self-will, I fought back both attacks by breathing deeply, repeating my 'dental mantra', "Be thankful you don't live in the Middle Ages" and by telling myself to grow up and stop being a baby.

Jen enjoyed the details of said panic attacks immensely and was very encouraging. According to her, once you start having them, it is all downhill. Soon I will be having them just from driving by the dentist.

She enjoyed the panic attack discussion so much I didn't even get the usual, 'ok, I gotta get back to work now' comment I usually get when I call her at work.

I think Mally's corns are lessening. I am not courting trouble by saying they are going away. We shall stick with lessening for the time being. He is still very shaky and weak in his back end. I am trying to get him out every day for his half mile walk - use it or lose it. Could it be the diet change? There is a theory that corns are an autoimmune response and diet would sure affect that, wouldn't it? His pads are definitely softer and the corns are smaller.

Both dogs seem to be self-regulating in the food department. They are starting to eat less than what I was initially giving them. I am lucky in that neither of them seem to be of the gluttony school of dog appetite and aren't driven to eat everything in sight just because it is there.

I think we might have to reschedule our next vegan dinner from lack of interest :-(

I used to be somewhat proficient with chopsticks. It came to my attention while dining in a sushi bar on this last trip that I have lost all chopstick skill :-( I am going to make it a point to eat with them more often at home. Hopefully it will make me eat slow, get filled up sooner and maybe lose some weight.

3 comments:

Sue said...

Hey - I get attacks when I bring the kids to the Dentist!! Try getting your kid to calm down and sit in the chair when you know you don't want to be there.

We will get you out running!!! Pretty soon school will be out and life will be back to normal LOL!!! Cos will have is pack back again!!

bazu said...

Oh no, I'm sorry about your root canals and panic attacks- I know how it is to feel powerless in a dentist's chair. Yuck.

Oh no, you're going to have to re-schedule the vegan dinner?? I know I haven't sent my check yet, but Daiku and I are totally in. We can try to drag some friends, too, so that is at least 4-5 more people. How many more will we need?

Anonymous said...

I can't wait till you go to the dentist again so I can get another panic attack report!!! :oD Misery loves company, LOL.

Jewn