Running is a big question mark that’s there each and every day. It asks you, ‘Are you going to be a wimp or are you going to be strong today?' - Peter Maher, Irish-Canadian Olympian

Friday, January 04, 2008

Happy Day! :-)

My mother grew up in the deep, rural South. Mississippi and Alabama. Many times I listened to stories of her youth, about her all white schools, labeled water fountains, etc. These stories seem like ancient history to my children, her grandchildren but seem like all too recent and like wounds, not sufficiently scabbed over to me.

Regarding last night.....

I don't know what it predicts about who might be our next Democratic presidential candidate.

I don't know what it predicts about who might be our next president.

There is a long, long road ahead before January 2008.

All I know is that a 92% (or 94%, I have seen both figures) caucasian, rural state voted for a biracial man in their Democratic caucus with an overwhelming turnout.

I actually laughed out loud this morning :-)

2 comments:

Bridget said...

It brought a smile to my face too :-)

Anonymous said...

i like that both sides were duped.

the aussies elected an eloquent fella in november. i hope we'll do the same.