Running is a big question mark that’s there each and every day. It asks you, ‘Are you going to be a wimp or are you going to be strong today?' - Peter Maher, Irish-Canadian Olympian

Thursday, October 18, 2007

Fickle is catching

Jen isn't the only one I would apply the term fickle to today. (And for the record, I might tell her she is fickle but I really suspect she is one of those talented, creative type people that just isn't bound by pedestrian habits like the rest of us).

I have one 'feel good' run and I sign up for a half marathon. Today, I have one struggling run and I want to apply for a refund. LOL

The initial plan was to run 6.5 miles around my house this morning with W. #2 son came home from an overnight shift and said we would be nuts to run on the roads - the visibility was very poor due to fog. So we shifted our locale to the park and I brought Cosmo. We were going to do a run 9, walk 1.

In my quest to lose weight and increase my fitness for the half training, I took a weight lifting class, taught by a friend, JP, at the Y yesterday afternoon. The first weights I have lifted in about 6 months! I told JP I would go on the condition that we do NO walking lunges and she takes it pretty easy. I stuck with very light weights too. I didn't feel too bad after the class or even early this morning. Then I ran this morning and immediately I could tell I was approaching 'over done'. My inner thighs - which I never notice while running, but we did lots of plie type squats yesterday - were screaming within the first mile. My hamstrings felt shredded and I just felt tired the whole way. W wasn't feeling 100% as she hadn't run in about a week so we ended up doing 5.5 miles very, very slow.

I know if I stick with the class, I will get used to it quickly and it will benefit my running. However, right now, it hurts to walk and I have no idea how I will be able to teach a 45 minute cycle class tonight. Should be interesting.



And no. I am not going to ask for a refund but the thought seriously crossed by mind at about mile 4.5!

3 comments:

Sue said...

OK, OK.....I'm still trying to think of words for U and S!! Remember Susan has 2 S's.

Anonymous said...

You'll do fine! Jeesh, next time I see you you are going to be Miss Buff. Are you going to look like one of those weight competition ladies? LOL.

Hey where are your Dewey pics missy?

Jen

Bridget said...

ooohhhh ouch. It will get better. You just shocked your muscles and they just got a little pissed at you. LOL! Keep it up. The leg strength will be worth it.