Running is a big question mark that’s there each and every day. It asks you, ‘Are you going to be a wimp or are you going to be strong today?' - Peter Maher, Irish-Canadian Olympian

Thursday, September 27, 2007

Situationally Unaware

I came across that term in a comment on the NYT's food blog and it struck a chord with me. It is the exact term I have been searching for - how to describe all those people who stand around with their heads up their asses, completely unaware of their surroundings. Case in point:
Yesterday
Local Library
Returning books

There is a little chute in the front counter for book returns but the staff prefers you just stack them on the counter - it is easier for them to get to the books and check them back in, I guess. I walk in to return my books. There is a large woman and a small boy standing in front of the book return. There is one of those umbrella strollers behind them, tipped over because there are heavy bags looped over the handles. The large woman, pretty oblivious to the stroller or the boy is talking to another woman who is standing over to the side. She, the boy and the tipped over stroller are right in front of the book return. I can't get to the book return to return my armload of books. She keeps talking, the boy keeps picking his nose. The stroller remains tipped over. She turns around, looks at me, turns back and keeps talking. The boy now progresses to making monkey noises. She keeps talking. I say, 'excuse me' and am not heard over the din of monkey hoo-hoos. In a fit of perversity, I decided to wait her out. Finally, the conversation comes to an end - only after checking out books. Turns out she was waiting to check out books in the return line even though there was no one in the check out line!! She uprights the stroller, grabs the monk- er boy by the hand and wanders off with nary an acknowledgement or apology tossed in my direction.

WTF??? I wish I was back in NYC where not only would the person have moved, apologizing at the same time, they probably would have grabbed the books out of my arms to return them themselves! I am encountering this type of behavior more and more! Is it just me? Do you people come across these situationally unaware folks who seem to think they are the only inhabitants in their special little world? On second thought, I don't even think I can classify this woman as 'situationally unaware'. She was aware all right. She just didn't care.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

you're very nice. i'd have lost it. but i am old and cranky. you were good not to make her sitationally aware of your foot in her clacker.

p.s. i read collapse. loved it. well, in the way you can 'love' depressing things like that.

michelle said...

Ah, yes, New York City, where people drive on the sidewalk, view red lights as optional, and lay on the horn if you're letting someone pushing a baby carriage cross in front of your car.
But in general, are less oblivious to our surroundings, and less likely to just stand there.

bazu said...

Hey, just move to my hood! The laid-back hippie politeness rivals New York City's!