Running is a big question mark that’s there each and every day. It asks you, ‘Are you going to be a wimp or are you going to be strong today?' - Peter Maher, Irish-Canadian Olympian

Saturday, September 15, 2007

Bud was a Bust

At least it was for me. Other people had stellar outings, more about that later.

This race is jinxed for me. I signed up two years ago, came down with shingles 2 days before the race. This year I got sick again. Cold, sore throat, achy, cough, what have you. It started a week ago Wednesday so I thought I could throw it off, but no dice. I modified my plan and thought if not the 10 k then I could walk the 5k. No dice there. Heartbreaking because it was cool and drizzly, just how I like it.

Now Bridget and Wendy went out and tore up that course, Bridget under 60 minutes and Wendy 1:03. I am way out classed by my running partners :-( Sue also ran her first 10k without walking, or so I am told. She wandered off after finishing and I didn't see her under the beer tent.

I am coaching the new run group starting tomorrow. What a joke.....they are all faster than I am! LOL Seems like it's mostly runners from the previous group and they want to move up to the 10K distance. Works fine for me - think we will shoot for the Jingle Bell Run in November which has a 10k.
Edited to add: A picture from our Friday night pre-race dinner hosted by yours truly. From left to right: Shannon, Kris, Sue. Around on the left is Mick with Wendy hiding behind him. Not shown is Bridget, Bill, Andrew and myself. It was a really fun, fun, noisy, lots of laughter type evening. We covered everything from Alton Brown's man boobs to running to Jen's upcoming 'date'. And yes, you do see a white plastic lawn chair in the picture. Bridget had to bring hers because my kids have taken all my folding chairs to use in their various apartments.

6 comments:

Sue said...

Sorry that I left so early...The boy was getting restless aka Ron. And Teresa had to head back to Troy. I did not walk at all. T would not let me.....I'll have my report soon!!

Bridget said...

We will get you out to run a 10k by the end of fall :-)

You know I meant to tell you that I am giving your spaghetti all the credit for my run. Damn good carbs!

Anonymous said...

Wow, I thought my ears were burning unnaturally last night.

Jen

bazu said...

I'm sorry you didn't get to run! Bridget told me you had come down with a cold- what bad luck. There will be another run, of that I'm sure!

Carrie said...

where does your group run? i keep forgetting you live near me so when i read your posts, i'm like, hey, wait, we had a Bud Run today too...
[smack head] duh.

All my tomorrows said...

It happens. I have that t-shirt. Now you just move on and get ready for the next one! :-)