Running is a big question mark that’s there each and every day. It asks you, ‘Are you going to be a wimp or are you going to be strong today?' - Peter Maher, Irish-Canadian Olympian

Friday, August 24, 2007

It was ugly out there today

Saturday - good race
Monday - good run
Wednesday - starting down that slippery slope
Friday (today) - crash and burn

Ugh. Bad, just bad. A regular death march. I didn't feel good from the first step. I didn't bring Cosmo because it is very humid. The kind of humid where sweat doesn't evaporate but goes flinging off your elbows every time you swing your arms. We walked 3 times, and not just little minute walk breaks but quarter mile walk breaks. My legs felt tight and heavy, like I could barely lift them. The only good thing about today's run is that it is over. Right now, the way I feel, Saturday's run is iffy.

I almost left my time off my training log and put only the distance. I feel bad enough and didn't think I needed to be reminded of the torture every time I look at my blog. But I decided to suck it up and put the evidence of my misery out there for everyone to see.

I am leaving Sunday for Montreal and coming back on Wednesday. Of course my plan was to bring my running gear but now I am wondering if I should. W thinks I should just take those days, relax and recuperate and come home renewed, rested and ready to resume training. Do I really need a break? Is it possible to overtrain on less than 20 miles a week? LOL

On a positive note, Real Time with Bill Maher returns tonight so I have something to look forward to, that is if I can stay awake. :-)

ETA: W kept telling me that part of the reason I was so tired was that I taught a cycle class last night. I don't know what came over me but we did do a lot of hovers, a maneuver where you come up out of the saddle, stabilize your upper body and pedal, with no upper body engagement. They suck. And we did lots of them. But I don't think they are to blame for my crappy run.

No comments: