Running is a big question mark that’s there each and every day. It asks you, ‘Are you going to be a wimp or are you going to be strong today?' - Peter Maher, Irish-Canadian Olympian

Monday, July 09, 2007

It just keeps getting hotter and hotter

Today: Hot and muggy. When I got home from my run at 10:45, it was already 92 on my *shaded* thermometer!

Ick.

After all my kvetching about the weather this past spring, I am not going to complain but it does make running a challenge - I am not a hot weather runner.

Today was a solo run. Even sans Cosmo. Just way too hot for the boyo. I was out at about 9:30 and did 3.75. A little background first. I drink coffee every morning. Only one cup. I used to drink lots. Lots as in if I didn't get my coffee I was practically incapciated from the headaches. I used to try to cut back but I never could do it. Then I got the shingles - facial shingles. I was in pain the likes that I thought my brain was melting. I used that episode to break the coffee addiction. The codeine and vicodin I was prescibed helped :-) When the shingles episode was over, I went back to coffee but only one 6 oz cup a day. In the two years since then, I have only violated the one cup rule once. So, this morning, I drank my coffee, ate some blueberries and drank 8 ounces of water. I visited the little girls room several times before I left. That's the setup to this run's story.

I arrive at the park and as I am getting out of the car, I think, "hmmmmmmm, I have to pee." "Nonsense", I say to myself. "You went 3 times at home. Once you start running all the liquid in your bladder will be absorbed out as sweat and you will be fine." That is a little fact that W has told me at the starting line of almost every race we have done. I don't think it is true but the predictability of her saying it does calm me.

First mile was 10:50 (good). Crossed the second mile mark at 21:50 (okay). Three miles, 33:10 (eh, *shrugs* it WAS hot). Right after the third mile mark, the urge to pee comes again. Strongly. So strong as in I start cursing the three children I gave birth to and the havoc they have wrecked upon my body that no amount of kegel exercises can repair. I stop and walk an upper thigh clenching 15 feet until the urge subsides. I think about heading into the woods but the trail is popular, I was alone and there is an awful lot of poison ivy. So I start running again. The urge comes again. Again, I walk about 15 feet. This time, however, the urge only slightly subsides. I finish the run very slowly, clenching those upper thighs, my pride intact and my panties dry but only just barely. Pace was 11:18 but gosh darn it, those miles were dry!

When I got home, Cosmo met me at the door and sniffed me all over. I felt like a husband returning from a business trip and being checked by the wifey for the scent of perfume and traces of lipstick. I failed. Cosmo looked at me like the unfaithful cheater I am and spent most of the day giving me accusatory looks and making his displeasure known.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG, look at that face! LoL.

I'm glad you fought the urge to pee. The sides of that trail are THICK, THICK, THICK with poison ivy and a squat would have been... well... could lead to a potentially embarrassing situation within the next week. ROFLMAO!

By the way... you deserve a gold star for running in this heat-! Dang, you have the tenacity of a pit bull. (In a good way, of course!).

Jen

Bridget said...

Ha!!! That look is hysterical.

It is awful to have to pee that bad while running! There has been many times I had to make a hasty exit off the trail.

bazu said...

I know the feeling. Somehow my body manufactures pee when I'm nervous. Or getting dressed. Or cold. It's kinda crazy.
Love Cosmo's face!

All my tomorrows said...

First, can I say that you have a gorgeous hardwood floor? I love it.

OK that out of the way...at least you didn't need to pee AND fart too! Imagine what would have happened. LOLOLOLOL. Yeah, I am totally disgusting..

And on a last note: That is THE Most Gorgeous Greyhound you have. Really. He is so beautiful.

Anonymous said...

I've had to leave my pup at home for the last few times out. he has definately not been happy about it.. I sympathize, as I am also getting the angry looks.

Anonymous said...

it doesn't matter that you suffered while running sans cosmo. clearly he's thinking, "you. are. a. tramp!"