Running is a big question mark that’s there each and every day. It asks you, ‘Are you going to be a wimp or are you going to be strong today?' - Peter Maher, Irish-Canadian Olympian

Tuesday, July 10, 2007

The Kindness of Strangers

If prodigal son #1 ever has his life story written, that should be the title.

My niece was in town last week from NC. We were all getting together last Friday up at my sister's to visit her. Numerous phone calls to prodigal son #1 from both me and his aunt went unanswered. I didn't think anything of it. I figured he had taken off some place. I only hoped he had told someone where he was going, because he sure didn't tell me! His aunt was a little more offended. She has known the kid his whole life but I guess she really doesn't know him all that well.

As we were leaving Friday, literally walking out the door, my phone rings. It is the boy.

Me: Where are you?
Him: At the bowling alley up the road.
Me: What? Why?
Him: It is where this dude dropped me off.
Me: What 'dude'? And why there?
Him: He was giving me a ride and he dropped me at the thruway exit.
Me: Oh never mind. Just stay there and we will pick you up. We are going up to see the family and you are coming with us.
Him: Oh good. And also, grab some clean clothes for me.
Me: What? Why?
Him: I haven't changed my clothes or showered in 8 days.
Me: What the??? Don't move. We will be right there.

Turns out the boy headed out 8 days earlier, took a bus to Lake Placid and hiked the Lake Placid-Northville Trail. 133 miles. In 8 days. Most websites say to plan on 13 to 19 days. The boy did it in 8, even after only making 6 miles the first two days due to getting a late start and then losing the trail markers and having to back track.

Twice, where the trail intersects a road, he decided to head into the nearest villages to score some food. Both times he was picked up immediately by people driving by. When he finished the trail, he was sitting on a park bench in Northville, trying to figure out what he was going to do and how he was going to get home. A guy stopped and started chatting him up. Turns out he was heading to Buffalo for a civil war enactment and was happy to give the boy a 3 hour ride home.

The kindness of strangers....... This is the same kid who called me from Washington State last year.
Me: Where are you?
Him: I'm in **** (some little town).
Me: What are you doing there?
Him: Staying with *****
Me: Who are they? How do you know them?
Him: They picked me up hitch hiking and offered me a place to stay for a few days.
Me: Wha...Why... What the heck?
Him: Yeah, I am going to be moving on today though.

This is the same kid who, after dining with some buddies, would go to pay their bill, only to be told it had already been picked up by someone.

When his life story is written, I bet it will be one interesting read.

5 comments:

bazu said...

I know it's different for you a his mother, but it's still a cool story! I'm glad he's safe and sound.

Anonymous said...

you need to write these moments down. outside of a blog. they're chapters!

Anonymous said...

He's quite an adventurer!

Jen

All my tomorrows said...

I sense some worry there...it's ok. I feel a little worry for him and I DON'T EVEN KNOW HIM.

Hitchhiking..I didn't realize it was still popular.

Good thoughts for future adventures.

Anonymous said...

I love reading about adventures like this but it only makes me want to kick myself for not getting out there and doing something similar. I will, one of these days. I swear!