Running is a big question mark that’s there each and every day. It asks you, ‘Are you going to be a wimp or are you going to be strong today?' - Peter Maher, Irish-Canadian Olympian

Friday, June 01, 2007

Pfffffffftttttttttttttttttttt!!!

I started running in 2003. I have ran numerous races, completed two sprint triathlons. What has this gotten me? Am I faster? Nope. Thinner? Nope.

Since my return from my little, two week long, self-imposed running-in-bad-weather boycott in April, I have studiously avoided timing myself.

Today, the scheduled run was to be 2.75, at the park with our three running mates (one human, two dogs). A call early this morning informed me we would be running alone as the human stepped on a nail yesterday, was sore, and visiting the doctor today.

I decided to run 3. And I decided to time it.


When we got to the trailhead, Cosmo didn't want to leave the parking lot. He kept stalling and looking around for the rest of the group. Sorry bud, I am all you got today. He wasn't happy.


As usual, first quarter mile consisted of both a pee and a poop break (for Cosmo - not me). When I reached the distance marker, I looked down.....Holy slug-a-moley, Batman. 3:46. Yep, a 15 m/m pace. Even with the breaks......I was stunned and a little downhearted. Why not freaking walk? But we continued on and stopped looking at the watch. We ended our 3 miles with a time of 35:49. Thank goodness for being a shade under a 12 m/m. Over a 12 m/m pace would have been a real blow especially since I felt I was working my a$$ off.


When I first started running, I thought to myself, all I wanted was to be able to go out, run 3 miles in 30 minutes. I didn't think it was asking much. 4 years later, I still haven't done it. My fastest 5k race time was 31:59 - a 10:20 mile. That was 2 years ago and I haven't gotten close to my 10 m/m since. And, I am beginning to think that result might be bogus because it was an uncertified race and in recent years the course (a different one than the one I ran, but still.....) has been short.


Monday - 2.75

Wednesday - 2.75

Friday - 3

Saturday - subbing for the run group at the Y. We will do 8 minute run/2 minute walk for 4 times. I hope I can keep up with the beginner runners. If you think I am joking, just recheck those times above.


I will not have the opportunity to run again until probably Thursday as I am going out of town for a few days starting Sunday. I am heading to NYC to move my daughter into her new apartment. I am sure I will have lots of stories from that - it is a 6th floor walkup and it is just her and me doing the moving.

I got The Raw Food Detox Diet by Natalia Rose out of the library. So did Bridg. She is thinking about doing it to improve her health. I am thinking about doing it to lose weight. Goodness knows my calorie counting routine isn't working :-)

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I will be interested to read what you think of the book and the diet...if you do it.

Anonymous said...

HEY!

you're running. most aren't. don't make me come over and smack you.

bazu said...

"a pee and a poop break (for Cosmo - not me)" = my favorite line!

Unfortunately, I don't have any running advice for you. But, maybe you're cut out to be a distant runner rather than a speed runner? I'd be happy if my short little legs let me run 3 miles at the moment. Oh, and I was reading Men's Health (don't judge!) and they said running is not necessarily the best exercise for weight loss anyway. So you're not doing anything wrong!

Sue said...

I understand what you feel....since I have started helping Andy....I don't think that I can do any faster. Let alone finish 3.1 miles!!! But who gives me hope when I'm down...You do. "Remember, you are able to do it, some people can't. So we are slow, who cares we are able to run and be healthy" I remember someone telling me that as I wanted to kill myself going up a hill!! And I remember that most everytime I run because a good friend told me that....We don't care about your time, we are just glad you are running with us!!!

All my tomorrows said...

I'm nodding along with Bazu's comment only because that is ME. I am not SPEED. I am distance. Today, at the race, I was thinking "were this a half marathon on full marathon, it would be COMPLETELY ACCEPTABLE to be doing 10:30 minute miles".

I have never liked speed distances. I do the 5Ks because I NEED the challenge, but I do prefer the longer runs. They are more forgiving on time. Someday I am going to attempt an ultra-marathon and with THOSE suckers NOBODY cares about time...that you FINISHED makes you AWESOME! LOL!

Ian said...

Keep up the running. Like everyone else has said, you're doing something that most people can't.

Additionally, I'm sure your dogs love running with you.

Anonymous said...

I agree... maybe you are all about distance, sista! :o) And even if you aren't... at least you are doing a cardio workout... even if you don't lose weight it is great for your heart. :o)

Jen

Lori said...

Your posts always crack me up but today you need a kick in the pants. LOL!

I used to run 10 miles every Saturday morning because I could. They were around 12 minute miles and I would beat myself up for not keeping up with the group.

When I was diagnosed with cancer I was told that my strong heart and lungs saved my life. Turns out the pressure from the tumor would have killed me weeks before I was diagnosed if it weren't for my running routine.

Now due to scar tissue and damage from chemo and radiation I have fluid around my heart and struggle with taking deep breaths. Still, the docs are amazed with my ablility to use oxygen and this keeps me from needing supplemental oxygen.

Last month I struggled to walk a mile. Today I completed 2 in about 35 minutes and had to take a nap. I am nearly 25 pounds heavier...I thought cancer made you skinny! Damn! I think back to those days of running 10 miles before I started my day and laugh/cry. I also thought I was fat then. How I didn't appreciate what I was able to do. I could kick myself.

What I'm trying to say is that you must appreciate and live in this very moment. Enjoy every step and every breath. Take joy in being on the trail with your pooch. Set little goals. If something gets in the way of your goal make sure it is worth the diversion. Don't worry about yesterday and compare to nobody. Don't even think about tomorrow. Please do this as I think you are doing great and wonderful things.

Big hugs,

Lori

Anonymous said...

Hi Trace! Just finally caught up on all your previous posts I missed during my absence.

I hate hate hate running. I always wanted to be a runner but every time I give it a whirl I remember why I don't run. Ugh! I have so much respect for anyone that manages to do it - consistently. You rock. And I'm sure, even if you're not seeing results on the outside, you've accumulated tremendous results on the inside.

KleoPatra said...

Keep up the good work!! Running is one of those things... it IS work. But it's also one of those things... it IS good, too.

I've been running for 25 years and i still have up and down weeks, fast and slow and super slow weeks...

And when Mat comes along w/me there are endless pee breaks, and times i have to go back and get her (when we go off leash) but it's part of the unrhythmic running that i actually prefer to continual pounding of pavement (or trails, whatever)!

Being consistent and listening to your body (legs AND heart AND head) is the most important thing, Trac.

xoxo