Running is a big question mark that’s there each and every day. It asks you, ‘Are you going to be a wimp or are you going to be strong today?' - Peter Maher, Irish-Canadian Olympian

Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Ithaca's Farmer Market

We have a wonderful local farmer's market in the area. Unfortunately, it is held on Saturdays. If you venture out there on a Sunday there is a huge flea market. Interesting stuff to browse, but no veggies. Last Sunday, the husb and I decided to drive down to Ithaca to check out their farmer's market. Unfortunately for us, they share the same scheduling philosophy of our own farmer's market. The only veggies to be seen was a small selection of asparagus :-( There were plenty of vendors with wine, cheese, honey, clothing, and crowds browsing them.


Oh, and there were plenty of ethnic food vendors.
So while we didn't get our veggies, we did eat quite well.

Check out this menu:


Momos??? You can eat Momos? Guess what I ate? Yep. I just had to try them.


They were a steamed dumpling stuffed with carrots, peas, potatoes, etc.
They had a nice spicy afterbite. The plate came with a generous serving of a cabbage slaw, mildly seasoned, and a nice counterpart to the spice of the dumplings. I had mine with a couple of side squirts of a chili garlic dipping sauce.

There was an accordian player providing entertainment. When we walked by, he remarked on A's Iron Maiden t-shirt. He said he would play us some Iron Maiden. It took a few measures for us to recognize the accordian version of In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida which is actually by Iron Butterfly but we gave him points (and a tip) for effort. :-)

One neat thing is everything produced by the market, with the exception of coffee cup lids is compostable. There were plenty of recycling and composting stations available.


We spotted this sweet little girl. She was having a great time there, and certainly got a lot of attention.


And lastly, A spotted this road sign on the way home and told me I just *had* to post the picture!


4 comments:

Bridget said...

The MoMo looks delicious. Giggle, giggle. I can hardly wait till the Farmer's market is exploding with fresh produce!

All my tomorrows said...

Oh mi...drool...drool..drool..actually, I did get my veggie dumplings this week as before Pirates we went to Todai and had a little bit of everything including the dumplings. God those look soooooooooooooo good.

LOL on the Iron Maiden/Iron Butterfly thang.

Anonymous said...

i love fruit and veg markets, but more and more they're being taken over by questionable crafts. ... those that look a bit factory made. there is one in queensland call the eumundi markets. i thought my husband was telling me to go to "your monday markets".

during our banana fleecing of 2006, we'd go to the f and v markets for bananas that were "only" AU$10/kilo vs. the supermarkets' AU$16/kilo price. now they're back to AU$3 if you want to know the comparison. hurricane larry and supermarket CEOs did that to us.

bazu said...

YOU FOUND MY STREET!! do you know how shocked I was the first time I drove by there?? I still want to know wtf... You are so sweet to post it.

Oh, p.s. as soon as I saw the menu, my first thought was, "momos! she's going to want to eat momos!"