Running is a big question mark that’s there each and every day. It asks you, ‘Are you going to be a wimp or are you going to be strong today?' - Peter Maher, Irish-Canadian Olympian

Friday, May 11, 2007

Friday run



It occurred to me today, as Cosmo, T'bo and I did our Friday morning run, that I love my dog. I adore this guy. He has been the best running partner ever - always engaged and motivated. He keeps me going. We did only our 2.5 mile route - that is far enough for T'bo. He ran at the very end of his leash, as far behind me as he could get. I just don't understand this. He isn't stressed, he just drags his ass, lollygagging. Cosmo maintains our pace, nicely slacked leash, his head aligned right with my right thigh. Running with this dog is a joy.
T'bo will be returning to his home early next week. Then it will be time for Cosmo and I to up our distance and work on a little speed.
***Edited to add: Don't bother writing me about how my dog is too skinny. He's a greyhound, for crying out loud. He is a greyhound who is active and at his proper weight. And he is a greyhound that will go out and lay down a pace over six miles. Want to try to hang with him over six miles? (That is a rhetorical question because I know some of you runners could hang with him without hardly breaking a sweat, but I am talking trash to all those non-running, fat dog owners who always look at me like I am starving my dog) He only looks skinny because by comparison, most dogs are too fat.***

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cosmo is fabulous! What a great pup. I love the pic of him looking at the camera with his spotty nose. :o)

Jen

Bridget said...

And you can tell just how much he loves it too when he is running. It is so much fun to see the joy on his face and I think it is mostly because he is with his most favorite human in the world :-)

Iowa Greyhound said...

Beautiful dog!

Anonymous said...

Oh, I love the white ones. Okay, all, but the white ones are special. How did you work up the greys for running? What is your top distance with a grey? I used to run longer distances, but due to injury am back with the turtles of turtles and not going very far. Now I'm looking at mine and wondering if I can get her to go further. Hm...

Anonymous said...

re: your edit

People make the same assumption about dingos in australia. too used to fat dogs. now myyyyy grey is truly a bit too chubby. she's always on a diet. she tells me she's just big boned.

All my tomorrows said...

I would never say he is too skinny. Fat dogs are my ANOTHER of my pet peeves. He looks great. C. said that she saw some GORGEOUS dogs at Kanab that were so damn fat it was all she could do to not say something very bad to the owners...(and she's a retired lawyer, so you KNOW that was hard for her!!! LOL!)

Sue said...

Anybody who know Cos, knows that he is not Underweight!!! He is perfect, and like you said he is a great motivator!!! I wish I had a dog like Cosmo to help me with Andy's running.....I know that He had help me with mine!!!

Bridget is right he is also happy because he is doing it with his favorite person!!!

Anonymous said...

I agree. I'm sick of seeing greyhounds that have lab bodies! People don't exercise their dogs enough- I feel so bad for those dogs that are prisoners in their own homes, and own yards... never getting good exercise, or only getting out of the house/yard once a week or month. Poo!

Greyhounds are athletes. They may be "retired" from the track, but they are ATHLETES. Their bones are too light to support "lab" bodies.

Jeesh. Cosmo is in fabulous condition, I hope the person who emailed you was just ignorant about greyhound physique and wasn't actually a GREYHOUND person!!!!

Jen