Running is a big question mark that’s there each and every day. It asks you, ‘Are you going to be a wimp or are you going to be strong today?' - Peter Maher, Irish-Canadian Olympian

Saturday, April 28, 2007

Wimp or strong?

*glancing upwards*

The words of Peter Maher have mocked me every day since April 9. That marks the last day Cosmo and I ran.

Today marks our first day back. We did approximately 2.5 miles, very,very slowly :-/ But we did it and Cosmo is a very, very happy dog, not as happy as he would have been to run with his 'pack' but he is happy.

The Peter Maher quote serves two purposes for me. First, it is a 'get your butt in gear' motivator. Secondly, Peter Maher was a sub 2:12 marathoner and he speaks of needing to be strong to run. It is a reminder to me that running is tough for everyone. Even if they are fast, even if it looks effortless when they run, even if they are amongst the fastest in the world. It is tough for everyone. It takes mental and physical strength and resolve to get out there and pound that ground. It makes me feel a little better to know that it isn't just tough for me.

2 comments:

Sue said...

You know that running is hard and you have taught you students that to.....We are human!!! Don't you remind me that when I get down?

As I told Andy today....As someone else told me(Hint, Hint) "It is that you are making the effort. It is not about how fast you are or how good you are....It is that you are doing it"

Anonymous said...

Yeah, Sue said it perfectly! :o)

I'm glad you're back to running. I know Cos is glad, too!

J