Running is a big question mark that’s there each and every day. It asks you, ‘Are you going to be a wimp or are you going to be strong today?' - Peter Maher, Irish-Canadian Olympian

Saturday, April 14, 2007

Recap

Sticking to my new reserve - I will not be running today. Forecast calls for a high NEAR 40. Not of 40, not over 40, not even 40! NEAR 40. I will not run outside until it is 50 degrees. I expect the weather gods to eventuall feel guilty about my increased weight and decreased stamina and crumble like stale cookies before my resolve and improve our weather. And then you all will be able to thank me and my principled stance for it :-)

Last night, Bridg and I pulled two greyhounds as a some-what owner surrender. Their owner, an elderly woman, was hospitalized last week and now will be institutionalized in a care situation. She had two greyhounds, a big lanky fawn boy and a little shy black female. For the past week they have been cared for by the woman's elderly brother-in-law and his wife. When it became obvious that the owner was unable to return to her home (I think the diagnosis is dementia), the b-i-l and wife did the right thing. They knew the dogs had a group out there that would take them. In the chaos of the situation and unable to find paperwork pertaining to the dogs, they just didn't know what group or how to contact them. They contacted one group and through the greyhound community grapevine, it was all figured out who had responsibility for these dogs. Yet another reason *hopping on my soapbox* for all groups, not matter what their personal adoption philosophies, to maintain contact and to work with each other SO THAT NO DOGS, EVER, FALL THROUGH ANY CRACKS. *hopping off my soapbox now*

These dogs are so sweet and so well-cared for. Turns out the male is a former foster of mine, Derek from 2000. B and I went back and forth a little about who would keep them overnight and for a day until the group could get them. We eventually decided both would stay at her house although, I kind of wanted my old foster back with me, just because, well, you know, once he WAS mine. After seeing him for 15 minutes at B's house, I think we made the right decision for him to stay at her house. I started to recall just why I considered him the Foster From Hell and had to take a break from fostering after having him. Not that he is a bad dog (if there is such a thing and I don't believe there is) but he probably is ADD :-) His muzzle is completely white now. Maybe B can post a current picture of him for comparison.
Let's see.....what else? Oh, we have expanded our menu to include rabbit this week and just as quickly we have taken rabbit off of the menu. Seems as though my two killing machines who have never met a bunny they didn't want to chase down, grab and shake to death, suddenly now have the mantra, 'mustn't eat the nice bunnies' running through their heads.
I was able to locate and purchase 44 lbs of cleaned, skinned rabbits and neither of them will eat them. We tried for two days. Mally ate probably a quarter pound each day - probably just enough to stave off starvation. Cosmo wouldn't do more than just sniff. Even when I sprinkled them with fake, soy parm cheese. Even when I quickly seared them. Nope. Not gonna eat the bunnies. Now, I know I can force the issue. My two boys are the biggest wimps around and I could make them eat the bunnies. If it was Angus, well, that would be another story. If he didn't want to eat the bunnies, nothing I could do would make him and just for good measure, I would probably wake up one morning to find him gnawing on my leg. He would be thinking, "I am not gonna eat what I don't want to and this will show her what I will be eating if she doesn't shape up and give me what I want to eat!" Of course, it is all a moot point, because we all know Angus would have been chowing into that bunny. Anyways, I am not going to force them because they aren't fussy eaters and if they don't want to eat it, well then fine. So.....anyone in the market for 40 lbs of frozen rabbit? :-) Next up on our menu for trying will be beef hearts. I got to tell y'all that this raw feeding is an exercise in willpower for me. The bunnies almost put me over the edge.

5 comments:

All my tomorrows said...

Re: Running - it sounds like you just need a break. Maybe concentrate on cycling or swimming for a while? There is no law that you have to do it every single day either. Breaks are good. When you come back, you feel better about things.

Sorry about the repossesion thing. It's sad. So glad you were there for those pups.

meesh said...

Truly you love your dogs. The rabbits would have sent me running back to the store for kibble. I am in awe of your resolve. :)

So sad to hear that the elderly ladie's dogs had to be surrendered, but also very happy that you and your contacts were able to figure it all out and get them where they needed to be. Hooray for rescue groups!

bazu said...

I read about those 2 poor dogs on Bridget's blog, and it's such a sad story, but kudos to you guys for helping them out. Oh, and you have some steely resolve in your continuing adventures in raw food land! Those pups better appreciate you!

How are you lovin' the snow, by the way??

KleoPatra said...

You are wonderful to help out dogs in need. Thank you for doing rescue work...

Hope the weather warms up for you soon.

bazu said...

I hope you are having a great (and warm warm warm) time in Florida! Lucky you