Running is a big question mark that’s there each and every day. It asks you, ‘Are you going to be a wimp or are you going to be strong today?' - Peter Maher, Irish-Canadian Olympian

Saturday, April 21, 2007

Flor-i-day

Wednesday morning looking out my dining window:

Wednesday afternoon from a lounge chair by the pool:
I spent 10 years of my childhood living in south Florida and despising it. However, this time around, leaving snow on the CNY ground in April, I am really liking it.
The weather has been very nice - sunny skies, nice and warm. Today is warm albeit overcast. I can deal with that though.

Thursday, I picked up a rental car and headed out to visit my mother who lives about 40 miles out of Tampa. The cities here, Tampa, Orlando, Lakeland are all very nice, clean and have that stucco tropical vibe. Get 5 minutes outside though and it is like going back 50 years in time, specifically to visit Deliverance. LOL Guys sit in pickup truck parked on the road shoulder with coolers and handwritten cardboard signs advertising 'gator meat'. Scrubby cows behind half down barb wire. I got the sense that the cities and the overwhelming development is the facade and you don't have to go far to see behind it.
And speaking of the facade......since we are staying at a Disney resort (don't look at me - he had to attend a conference here) we decided, what the heck......we would hit up one of the theme parks. We decided on Epcot as it seemed the least offensive to our sensibilites :-) Big mistake. Big, big mistake. Why?
1) we hate crowds
2) we hate cheesy theme park attractions
3) we hate kids (not really hate but frankly we don't want to be bothered dodging and weaving around your little precious while s/he throws a fit in the middle of the walk way) Honestly, there were more people mobile via strollers, motorized scooters and wheelchairs than there were walkers. And frankly, the majority of them figured no matter where they were motoring, they had the right of way.
Oh God, it really was awful....I don't know what we were thinking. We are more Tate Museum, more Santa Maria in Trastevere, more Pantheon and Forum than The Seas with Nemo and Friends (brought to you by Nestle).
Anyways, $60 and 2 hours later, we ditched that place. What a waste. And let's not even get into the problem of eating vegan at a Disney resort. We have been saved by a really great sushi restaurant in one of the hotels.
One thing I will say is this place is clean, squeaky, antiseptic clean and the staff is without exception, wonderfully approachable and helpful.
Oh well, we have had a great time, lying for hours, decadently around the pool and (fake) white sand beach, drinking frozen, frothy, alcoholic concoctions. We are heading home tomorrow (where they have finally had some great weather this weekend - all it took is for us to leave :-)), anxious to get the dogs home from their respective vacation homes. Next trip hopefully will be Montreal in August. I am really looking forward to that.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah-hem. NEXT trip will be our camping trip to Lake Placid for the IronMan. ;oD How could you forget the Ironman! LOL.

Jen

bazu said...

I will overcome my bitter jealousy and rage to say I hope you are having a good time in FL!

I know what you mean about those damn amusement parks. When we were in FL, my friends came to visit and FORCED me to take them to Disneyworld. And then, the in-laws came to visit, and we found ourselves at Universal Studios. SO not my thing! Kissimme St. Cloud? More like Kissimme St. ASS. hee hee, I had to say that.

All my tomorrows said...

You pretty much nailed Florida square on. What I can't figure is why people want to live there and fight all those hurricanes..not to mention the gator meat.

Glad you had a marginally good time anyway. Lovely blue sky palm tree pic.

KleoPatra said...

"Nothing Like The Sun" isn't just an album by Sting...

So glad you got to enjoy some warmth!

We're planning on a Disneyland adventure in June, my family, for my nephew's b'day... i'm having second thoughts now!

Michelle Ann said...

I was over at Pisces Place and saw that adorable picture of your dog on your profile and I had to check it out. Your dogs are beautiful.

And, I completely agree with you about theme parks... We have two canine children and would love it if the theme parks would have an "adult" day. No one under the age of 18 would be admitted.....

Ian said...

Hope that you enjoy(ed) your vacation. As someone who also runs with his dog, I like your blog!

meesh said...

I feel your pain! I just went to Disneyland this past weekend with my parents. I actually enjoy going there with my mom 'cause we usually go on a fairly quiet weekday. But this was crowded and there was nothing for me to eat! There were hardly any vegetarian offerings, forget about vegan. I think I ended up with a little garden salad and a roll for lunch. Mmmmm.