Running is a big question mark that’s there each and every day. It asks you, ‘Are you going to be a wimp or are you going to be strong today?' - Peter Maher, Irish-Canadian Olympian

Monday, January 01, 2007

Bento

Eating is one of the most intimate, personal things we do every day. We are actually taking a product, an item into our body - what can be more personal than that? Every day I sit in the break room at lunch and I eat with people. They are usually eating the ubiquitous Healthy Choice frozen food, or Hot Pockets, or frozen pizza. I sit there like a dork with my little Mr. Bento (or other bento box) eating a lunch that I prepared at home. I know that preparing food is a pain and time consuming. It is easier to just grab something out of the freezer and stick it in the microwave but we are only cheating ourselves when we do that. Food and the pleasure of eating is a gift we have been given and I never want to take that for granted or want to brush it aside because I am too busy. Eating is an affirmation of life and love. I know that every afternoon, my husband sits down, opens up his lunch and eats a meal planned, prepared and packed by me. Meals and food should be an event, something looked forward to and appreciated.

The best place to buy Mr. Bento - Amazon.com $41.85 with free shipping. Not cheap but if you pay $5/day or more for lunch....well, you can see how it will pay for itself within months. Hey, we all know that a trip a day to the vending machine really adds up in dollars and pounds. There are also much cheaper alternatives than Mr. Bento. One is the Fit & Fresh lunch pack which runs about $6-7 or the Fit & Fresh Soup and Salad.
We are what we eat :-)

5 comments:

Iowa Greyhound said...

Thanks for posting the Bento links. That's good motivation to cook more myself. Eating out has been overdone. :-)

Candi said...

Nice post! I agree that making lunch is time consuming, but you've got it right that it's worth it! Good for you packing your Mr. Bento! :)

Thanks for the links too. I'm happy you posted cheaper alternatives too! :) :P

Anonymous said...

OMG I'm having flashbacks to the Seinfeld episode of George combining the intimate, personal activities of food and s-x into one! His two loves in life... ROFLMAO!

Jen

Sue said...

You are right.....we are what we eat. But you are also right that it is alot easier to have something quick and easy. It is so hard to pack my lunch in the morning and even at night because I'm doing something with the kids, training or on the computer!!! I know that half of my weight problem is because I take the easy way out!!! I praise you in the great job that you are doing!!!

runswithdog said...

Candi,

The cheapest alternative is the fabled old brown bag (especially if you reuse the plastic grocery bags like I have been known to do!). Really, it doesn't matter how but that you do it. Better for you, better for your health, a better example for your coworkers and just plain better all around :-)

IG,
What I do is have some old standbys I always use - applesauce, nuts, vegan nuggets, samosas, etc. to stick in my lunch. Also, when I do cook, I always try to freeze the leftovers in portion sizes. It is so nice to just go look in the freezer and chose.

Sue, you have come so far with what you are doing that I am constantly amazed, impressed and in awe of you. I don't know how you do it, training, work, young kids, etc. If eating out makes it easier for you, go for it :-) Life is too short to add extra work onto an already overloaded life!