Running is a big question mark that’s there each and every day. It asks you, ‘Are you going to be a wimp or are you going to be strong today?' - Peter Maher, Irish-Canadian Olympian

Thursday, December 14, 2006

Riding to the Challenge

I usually teach two cycle classes each Tuesday and Thursday. My second class has ended for the current session and won't start up until sometime in January. So, today I taught the 4:30 class, bopped my way home to feed the canines, and bopped back to the Y to sub for Bob's 6:30 class.

Last week, he had no one. Not a single soul. He takes the summer off and starts his class up every November. It usually takes a month or so for the start up to get through to the members and they start to realize that the class is back on the schedule. I thought for sure I would go tonight, hang out for 15 minutes, have no one show, and bop my way back home. I was so sure of this scenario, I rode hard my first class. Very hard.

What happens? 6:30 comes around, I head to the cycle studio and what is there? Or rather who is there? 6 riders. Only one I have ever seen before. Who are these people? I don't want to teach - I want to go home. I am tired, sweaty and cold. And what is worse? 3 of these riders were......well, I don't want to say anything nasty because they were very nice and respectful guys. But they were 3 hardcore riders and they were expecting to ride hard. And I was tired, sweaty, cold and had convinced myself that I wouldn't have to ride at all.

So the music went on and we started. And they are chatting amongst themselves like they are out on a pleasure ride. No biggy. Usually riders chat for the first two or so songs and then everyone gets down to serious business. Well, my serious business wasn't making a dent with these fellers. So I had to up my game. About the only thing that worked on these guys were intense hills. So we did them. We did a lot of them. We did standing uphill sprints. We did standing runs. I kicked my own butt :-/ I will be paying for this tomorrow. I finished the class with nothing left - completely wasted. They left looking like they had a good ride but they still had a lot left. Bastards........They are the same guys that are always finishing races when I am right about reaching the half way mark. LOL

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow! I can't even believe that you did two classes back to back. I am totally impressed. I definitely need to get into better shape. I have no excuse.