Running is a big question mark that’s there each and every day. It asks you, ‘Are you going to be a wimp or are you going to be strong today?' - Peter Maher, Irish-Canadian Olympian

Monday, December 11, 2006

Hills are our friends!

We have been running hills on Mondays now for about 3-4 weeks. I can't believe how - I don't want to say easier because they aren't - much less intimidating and gutwenching they are. AMT has written about running hills and I have seen what she has said repeated in other articles, such as here and here, so I decided to give the 'slow it down but give it equal effort' school of thought a try. Well, surprise, surprise. The hills weren't bad. I mean, they were still hills but I didn't feel like vomiting up a lung when I reached the top and as a bonus, the whole run felt great. Everyone did great running tonight. Momo has his new bro but because it was over 40 degrees, he ran naucky. It was too bad because I really wanted to show him off in his mauve, lime, orange and pink striped bro :-). He also almost took out Sue and Sherri at one point running - he was a little excited when we started and wanted to run faster than I did.

1 comment:

Iowa Greyhound said...

Hills are a challenge, but it feels so good to condition and defeat them. That weird muscle that appears over the knee is kind of cool too.

I use the lasso rope trick for hills. Fix a point in front of you, tie an imaginary rope around it pull, release, lasso another point. It really works!