Running is a big question mark that’s there each and every day. It asks you, ‘Are you going to be a wimp or are you going to be strong today?' - Peter Maher, Irish-Canadian Olympian

Friday, November 17, 2006

Terminator feet

I have been running long enough and have talked to enough of them to know that most runners have a weakness that they have to manage as they get older, an 'achilles heel'. For some it *is* their achilles tendons, for others it can be their hamstrings, their shins, their IT band, etc. For me, it is my feet, in particular my plantar fascia - in both feet.

I tell people in my classes, that as you get older, it is all about managing these 'conditions' in order to be able to keep doing what you want to do. In my pursuit of managing my foot pain, I have done the podiatrist route (very carefully researched in order to find a dr. who would work with my running and not just tell me to stop - which is really the best way to treat PF), the physical therapist, cortisone, orthotics, etc. What I have found that works the best for me is night splints, stretching and icing after running.

Night splints are devices that keep your feet in a 90 angle position while you sleep so that the fascia does not contract while you sleep. In effect, it keeps your feet stretched all night. My first set weren't splints per se, but the Strassburg sock, recommended by a person at my local running store. My podiatrist was surprised that they worked for me. He said most people find them uncomfortable to sleep in. My reply: Hell yeah, they are uncomfortable but a lot more comfortable then the pain! My only gripe with the socks is that they kept your foot flexed by applying pressure at the toe (for lack of a better description). I found this really irritated my toes but I still wore them and was grateful that I was able to continue running. Eventually, though, they got nasty and worn so out they went.
I still need something though but wanted to go with a device that kept my foot flexed without irritating my toes. I went with a more traditional night splint:
I feel like the Terminator in these :-) Combine the night splints with the fact that I have carpel tunnel and wear wrist braces to bed every night, I am one hot mama.

My poor husband :-) I tell him all I need is a night retainer to complete my ensemble!

3 comments:

Sue said...

You go girl!!!! We have to do what we need to do so we can run!!!!

All my tomorrows said...

Hahahaha!

I'm sure your DH loves you braces and all! :-)

Sadly, I too have the carpal tunnel issue and the accompanying braces. PITA (and yeah, not too all together "sessy"), but the potential pain for not wearing them is WORSE!

runswithdog said...

I remember waking up my first morning after wearing the wrist braces while sleeping. I felt like weeping with relief and gratitude.