Running is a big question mark that’s there each and every day. It asks you, ‘Are you going to be a wimp or are you going to be strong today?' - Peter Maher, Irish-Canadian Olympian

Monday, November 27, 2006

miscellaneous minutae

A lucky evening - I have come across A River Runs Through It on some three digit cable station. What a great movie and such a wonderful adaptation of the wonderful novella by Norman Maclean. I would highly recommend reading this and also his nonfiction book, Young Men and Fire that he wrote at the end of his life. I tried to get that philistine trailhoundz to read it but she blew it off in favor of some detective story featuring a dog or something like that. :-)LOL.

Anyways, my activity for the last week
Monday - 2.25 miles, easy and along the Lights on the Lake display
Tuesday - 2 back to back cycle classes
Wednesday - 2 miles (hills)
Thursday - no teaching! The gym was closed! It was nice not to have to ride.
Saturday - 3.5 miles

Tonight I met up with Bridg, Sherri, Shannon and Kris. Our goal is to run the Tipp Hill race in March. It is a four mile course and it is hilly. How hilly? Very. So, once a week we are going to run the loop across from the gym. It is .9 miles once around. Counterclockwise, it is a gradual incline with one short steep uphill and a longer steep downhill halfway through. Then it is a long downhill. When we get to our starting point, we turn around and run it the other way - the long incline leading to a long, fairly steep incline and the short steep downhill. We did it twice one way and ran it reversed the other way once. The third time around we picked up the pace going up the hill. I have a vague memory of saying something to Bridget, don't really remember what but her response (as she picked it up and blew by me) was something along the lines of, "Oh, you wanna fuck with me?" At least, I think that was what she said. I treated it as a rhetorical question as I was sucking wind so loud and so short of O2 I could have just been channeling The Big Lebowski ('This is what happens when you fuck a stranger in the ass!'). Cosmo actually broke his easy walk and tried to run after her but he was dragging ole lard ass me so he didn't get very far LOL. At any rate, the run felt good and even if she schooled me tonight, I will always have this (specifically paragraph 3). Us slow people have to take what little we can get.

I came home, laid on the bed with the pups, got up, hobbled to the shower and took a long, long, hot, hot shower. Yeah. I know. Not good but it did feel wonderful. I am going to need ibuprofen to just get out of bed tomorrow :-)

5 comments:

All my tomorrows said...

OMG..you just made me laugh out loud SO HARD. That is my FAVORITE scene in the Big Lebowski...it is just so...I dunno...what we'd all like to do at one time or another? Hahahahahaha!! (keep at those hills..it'll do ya!) :-)

Bridget said...

You mess with the bull you get the horns! Oh who the hell am I kidding! And if I remember correctly, you were challenging me - something along the lines "Come on Bridget we are going to beat you" or some shit like that. All I remember is thinking is to get my ass to the top as fast as I can so I can go home!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you have a terrific goal for March. Good for you! I hope the hills get easier. :)

I did a little outdoor running over the holiday weekend with my mom and I was a sore little girl afterwards. I'm not used to working out in nature! Where's my gym?! My mom is one of these people that can just set a pace and carry on like that for miles. It's sickening. :p

Anonymous said...

Oh crimeny. If it were that cold out here, I think I'd be lucky to walk to the end of my driveway just to get the mail. You are my hero! Good luck with your training!

Anonymous said...

Wow, I feel lazy when I read your blogs! Lol! You're doing awesome!!