Running is a big question mark that’s there each and every day. It asks you, ‘Are you going to be a wimp or are you going to be strong today?' - Peter Maher, Irish-Canadian Olympian

Monday, November 27, 2006

'Fronch toast' or C'mon People! Go Eggless!

There are a few things that I won't do. Yes, even I draw the line sometimes LOL. I try not to preach veg* nism. I can't always keep to this resolution ('cause ya know, sometimes people are just confrontational and defensive!) but frankly, I prefer to educate through example rather than lecture. Let me cook a vegan meal anyday over trying to 'convert' someone over from the dark side. Let me show you how easy it is. I also don't blog recipes that are only in cookbooks. Get your ass out there, buy it and support the vegan cookbook writers (or borrow it from the library and make copies)! I will, however, blog and link recipes with credit, that are already on the internet.

I believe that eating vegetarian/vegan isn't a whole lot harder than eating the SAD (standard American diet - kinda cool it spells out sad....because....well, it is SAD!). It just takes a little mental adjustment. You just have to start thinking different. Anyways, when I come across one of those super easy, this will convert every meat eater, 'it's easier to make the vegan version than the traditional version' recipes, I really, really want to spread it around. VwaV (Vegan with a Vengeance) has one of these recipes in their 'fronch toast' recipe. Unfortunately, it isn't on the website, The Post Punk Kitchen, so you will have to get off your ass and buy it if you haven't already (and if you haven't - what are you? Smokin' crack? Get this book! It is awesome!)

A while ago (probably years, but what do I know? The days all blur together) I heard a vegan educator/speaker (I think it was Erik Marcus, but it could have been Howard Lyman - nah, probably not Howard, more likely Erik but I am not definite,it could have been Gene Bauston or Harold Brown) say that if someone is going to give up only one animal based food, it should be eggs. The plight of the battery chicken is truly horrific even in a sea of inhumane, horrific, insensitive animal treatment.

I am getting to a point here folks - it is just taking me some time LOL. The point is, eggs are icky and no one should be eating them (just to gross you out I am asking trailhoundz to chime in in the comment section with her favorite disgusting descriptive phrase of chicken eggs). Another point is VwaV is an awesome book. And the last point is cooking and eating vegan isn't hard and sometimes can be easier than eating and cooking the SAD. My proof? Exhibit A: VwaV's fronch toast. The exact same as a regular recipe for french toast substituing 2 dry ingredients for the nasty eggs. Yep, from your pantry. No having to refrigerate, wondering if your eggs are fresh, no squishing your fingers through the shell and getting them all gunky, no dropping shells pieces into the bowl. Seriously, VwaV's 'fronch' toast is easier to make than traditional french toast. And it is seriously good. It is seriously even better than traditional SAD french toast. How do I know? Trailhoundz liked it and she never liked french toast as a kid. I fed it to a group of people while we were down at Dewey and they liked it. Those who didn't know me and my freakishly progressive eating habits, assumed it was 'regular' french toast.

The moral of this story? Go out, get VwaV, make the 'fronch toast' even if you aren't veg*n. Do it for the chickens :-)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes!! I agree! I think vegan baking has come so far that eggs are absolutely not missed. I've been eating so many perfect cakes, muffins, cupcakes, etc. lately, that I think eggs would just mess things up. Thanks for spreading this word! ( I was cracking up about the part about Erik Marcus- no Howard Lyman- no Marcus- no...)

Thanks also for your kind words about the contest. I probably should have used Han's tofu, because you are right - it's so fresh and tasty and awesome.

Oh, and I would so love to join you guys for a run sometimes!

Anonymous said...

Great post! I totally agree about the eggs issue. What they do to those birds is disgusting.

I have found one local farm where I will sometimes buy eggs if I really, really absolutely must have them. The chickens are all roaming around outside in green fields, eating sprouts and whatnot. Every so often they move the hen house to a different part of the farm so the chickens can eat something different that they need. Oh, and the kicker, all the chickens have names! Whoo-hoo. Happy chickens.

I have heard so much about Vegan With A Vengance on blogs, that I have added it to the top of my christmas book list. I hope Santa comes through or else I'll just have to go shoppin' on the 26th. :) I gotta make me some egg-less fronch toast. Mmmmm...

Anonymous said...

Eggs are so unecessary and unhealthy. After I read Diet for a New America, there was no turning back. I have VwaV but I am so embarassed tp admit I've never tried the Fronch Toast. I'm not really big on breakfast foods but you know what? Maybe I'll make these for dinner one of these nights. YuM!!

All my tomorrows said...

Oh lawd, you are making me feel guilty..I love my eggs..sniff sniff...But I tell you what, I am really trying hard to ditch them. I am. Give me time.

My Friend, Flying Pink Wig, is going to try the all vegan route and she is going to try to help me in my "give up eggs" quest since we are best friends and do eat together frequently.

Good to have support and then my blog friends to make me feel like CRAP for eating eggs. LOL!

Anonymous said...

You are all hippies.

j/k - the worst part of french toast is the egg goop. I'm going to try vegan style next time. Yum!

Danke!