Running is a big question mark that’s there each and every day. It asks you, ‘Are you going to be a wimp or are you going to be strong today?' - Peter Maher, Irish-Canadian Olympian

Tuesday, August 29, 2006

A Change Is Gonna Come

Props to Sam Cooke for my title :-)

There've been times that I've thought I couldn't last for long
But now I think I'm able to carry on
It's been a long time coming
But I know a change is gonna come


This is something I have been thinking about lately. I spent probably an hour talking Jen's ear off the other night about it. I think that there might be a societal shift in the offing as far as animal exploitation goes. Now, I am fully aware that in our history, this is probably by far the worse time to be an animal.....almost 10 billion are slaughtered in our country alone each year. I can't even hardly get my mind around that number. That is billion with a B. It doesn't bear thinking about.

I gave up eating meat in 1993. I went vegan in the fall of 1997 (wow! 9 years!). I have seen a shift in the public. Yes, in a social event, a vegan is going to be odd man out. It still sucks to try to eat out sometimes. People still look at you like you are a tree hugging freak sometimes (well, I am a tree hugging freak but still.....you know what I mean). But it *is* getting better. I have seen this in the past 13 years. Grocery stores are carrying more natural food. There is a strong local agriculture movement. It is easier (not easy, but *easier*) to eat out. We are invited to a wedding in October that offers a vegan dining choice. There are major vegetarian magazines published. And I am starting to see some of the issues so dear to our hearts being discussed in the popular media.

In the past year, two of Newsweek's columnists have written positively about vegetarianism and animal rights, George Will and Rabbi Marc Gellman. Fast Food Nation by Eric Schlosser, published in 2001, indicted our food industry practices. Supersize Me by Morgan Spurlock was a documentary hit in 2004. What is amazing to me is that these aren't the 'usual suspects' with this subject matter. Part of what I fear is that things have gotten so bad that these people are compelled to speak out against the horror and travesty. They are not specifically advocating vegetarianism but argue more along the lines that our current system is out of control and we have to establish a more reasonable and compassionate model, for our health, our environment, our animals, our workers. But I don't care what their reasons are, I am happy they are speaking. They are reaching an audience that needs to hear what they say, an audience that might be receptive to the ideas if it comes from them instead of us. How does the saying go? It is always darkest before the dawn? As bad as things are now, I hope, hope, hope, that I am right and that the dawn is coming, that a change is gonna come.

3 comments:

KleoPatra said...

I love how you think!

Thanks for the great links. I had seen Rabbi Gellman's msnbc story but not for some time, so thank you for the refresher.

This post made me feel better about things...

Candi said...

Hi trac!!

Yes, I love seeing the shift too. I haven't been vegan long at all compared to you, but I do notice new vegan bakeries and companies popping up all over the place, and new items in the "regular" stores that specifically say "vegan friendly" and it always makes me think that the shift IS happening, even if it is slower than we'd like.

So many people know what a vegan is now, which is amazing! People are proud to be veg and don't feel so weird about it anymore, and that helps perpetuate things and get the info out there.

Aside from eating, I see little signs all the time that show me that people do care and make a difference. Here's an example: there was a large truck in front of me one day while I was coming home. I saw a family of geese trying to cross this busy street and got SO nervous with this truck driver right in their path! The mom goose and her row of babies just kept wandering, then the truck driver swerved to avoid them, and pulled off some miraculous move in such a heavy truck! Yay!! All the birds were fine and waddled off in to the grasses. I was so proud of this truck driver.

I don't think people like the idea of hurting animals, they just tune it out of their minds. (also the same for environmental issues.) The facts are getting out there though with so many open veggies and environmentalists who are proud of what they do, and make an effort to educate without preaching. Movies like, "An Inconvenient Truth" are out now and I found some muffins at Trader Joes that had a big Vegan sticker on them! Ahhh, these little things add up to good news!! Focus on the good parts and know that lots of people are helping make a shift happen, and like you, I see it happening in all kind of ways. Your compassion adds to the shift very much!

:) :) Congrats on the many years of being veg*an!!!!!!!!!

urban vegan said...

Times really are changing, slowly but surely. Virginie, a French vegan, is working on the first ever French vegetarian magazine!