Running is a big question mark that’s there each and every day. It asks you, ‘Are you going to be a wimp or are you going to be strong today?' - Peter Maher, Irish-Canadian Olympian

Monday, August 28, 2006

Bringing some home

Saturday, Bridget and I drove a leg of a haul that brought two retired racers from the track to an adoption group that would place them in homes. Frannie (race name: Sveet) and Adam (race name: Mahzora) came off a track in Massachusetts.

They were approximately four years old and littermates.
They were so well behaved and sweet - they were no problem! They hopped right in the car and settled right down. Somebody is going to be lucky to get these dogs - they will be wonderful companions. It was a fun and rewarding way to spend a few hours on a Saturday morning. Frannie is the black tuxedo girl. She was very vivacious and outgoing. You could tell she never met a stranger.

Adam is the big brindle. He was also very friendly but a little more reserved than Frannie. He was very watchful and observant.

Whenever I do these hauls, I think what it must have been like for my two boys, coming off the tracks, being passed from car to car, volunteer to volunteer, in 1, 2 or 3 hour drive legs, making their way to our family and home. I wonder what they thought as it was going on, if they could somehow sense that their lives were going to be opening up and changing. I wonder if they remember that time of transition today and think back on it. Especially for Mal - he was brought over from Ireland to race and I often wonder how....probably by plane. Oh well, I would just love to know what goes on in their minds and what they really think :-)

5 comments:

veronica said...

Hi!
I´m the artist working on the receipts project.
I wanted to send you the info about it but I don´t have you email, can you send me it please?
mine is on my profile
Thanks!

The Lone Beader® said...

These dogs came from MA?? Small world. I hope they find happy homes:)

KleoPatra said...

I'm only glad they have YOU in their lives. Happy times for these beautiful creatures are sure to follow, trac... THANK YOU.

meesh said...

Oh, what a couple of cuties! I have a weakness for the brindle babies. :)
That sounds like a wonderful way to spend a Saturday morning and I'm sure the pups thank you for helping to get them to their new happy homes.

runswithdog said...

I really like doing hauls and these two made it real easy. They were so relaxed and well behaved. Usually, we have more than 2 and it can be a bit of a madhouse. You can have males that are a little bit randy as they have just been neutered stuck in the back of a van usually with no nonsense 'don't come near me' broods so it can be exciting to say the least sometimes.