Running is a big question mark that’s there each and every day. It asks you, ‘Are you going to be a wimp or are you going to be strong today?' - Peter Maher, Irish-Canadian Olympian

Monday, May 08, 2006

Safety first, a PB and frustration

Yesterday, we had scheduled a long bike ride and a 20 minute run. Early in the morning I headed out to the park with Mo and Ang to meet some friends and we did a 4 mile walk. Absolutely beautiful, gorgeous weather! Budge and Wen then met at my house for the ride. Wen forgot her helmet so the decision was made to make the 20 minute drive to her house and ride out there. No biggie as she lives out in the county and it is a nice country ride. And it is never worth it riding without a helmet. Never! We did about 15 miles with some small hills. I think Budge is getting more comfortable working her gears - she really needs to get that down pat because she will run through all her gears at Green lakes to get up the two hills. Due to my superior training - ok, due to my excessive 'junk in the trunk' I could take them on the downhills. It is just physics - more weight=more speed downhill. Of course, Budge caught me on all the uphills. Physics and superior conditioning - less weight +better cardiovascular conditioning = more speed uphill :-)
When we got back to Wen's we threw on our shoes and took off running. It was supposed to be a 20 minute run but we decided to just do a mile. We were tired - it was a miracle we did anything! :-) I felt ok but like I was running in quicksand. If you had asked me, I would have said I was doing a 13-14 minute mile. At one point, my breathing was so labored I thought I should slow down but was afraid if I did, I would be walking! One mile times:
Budge - 8:24 (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
Me - 9:28 (A PERSONAL BEST!!!!!!)
Wen - 9:47 (!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Of course, we all agree that we wouldn't be able to keep that pace but still, it was a welcome shot in the arm. I am so very happy with all of us!

A's brother came over for the afternoon and evening - they hit and threw the ball around in the green area and then took J and his girlfriend to the mall for the prom tux rental. They came home with a top hat and cane! I knew I should have gone. I made white bean and sausage (tofurkey sausage, of course) with salad and biscuits for dinner. We eat a little spicy here and I don't think A's brother really does a lot of spice so I felt bad about that. He ate it all like a champ though, with lots of water!
I spent the rest of the evening working on my website and it sucks. Something is wrong with the software and it won't upload my site. We have reloaded the software, we have reconfigured my computer, made new trial websites to upload.........nothing! I might just have to get different website creating software and use that :-(

We should have the basement walls poured today!

No comments: