Running is a big question mark that’s there each and every day. It asks you, ‘Are you going to be a wimp or are you going to be strong today?' - Peter Maher, Irish-Canadian Olympian

Saturday, May 06, 2006

A small confession

Yesterday evening, Budge and I did a swim workout. I know it was Friday night, but frankly I don't have much of a life and the pool is so nicely sparsely populated and quiet, it is a joy to swim. Budge has been much more diligent with her swim workouts than I. I hadn't swam in two weeks :-(

Now for the confession. First, to put this in perspective, you need to realize Budge is pretty gifted physically. She is about 6 ft tall and weighs 100 lbs. She has these long, long, legs and long, long arms. She is pretty much the exact physical opposite of myself who leans to the fat midget category. All this means is that I spend a lot of my time looking at her back. Pretty much all our running time and it looks like it will be the same for our bike rides. Well, last night, we decided to do a nice and easy swim workout. 300 yd warmup, 5 x100 w/ 15 sec. and 200 yd cooldown. I am tired of looking at her back so I stepped it up a bit and tried to keep 1/2 to a whole body length ahead of her. Not enough effort to really tax me but enough that I (for a change) wasn't tailing along in her wake. She did pass me once in our cooldown swim but I really was taking it easy there :-) So there is my confession - it felt pretty good for a change not to be bringing up the rear. Of course, I do realize that if we were swimming all out, she would burn me like overdone toast but I take a little, unseemly pleasure in my effort last night.

Karma is a bitch though. We ran 60 minutes this morning and Wen joined us. While I huffed and puffed my way, unable to string a half dozen words together, just trying to keep up with them, Budge just loped alongside of us, chatting away, telling us stories to occupy the time. I don't think she broke a sweat :-)

Tomorrow is a 19 mile ride with a 20 minute run after.

No comments: