Running is a big question mark that’s there each and every day. It asks you, ‘Are you going to be a wimp or are you going to be strong today?' - Peter Maher, Irish-Canadian Olympian

Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Clueless People

Cosmo and I head out on a little 3 mile jaunt this morning. It is nice and cool, sun is shining, very little wind - just a perfect running day. Last Friday, this route took me 29:16 so I think that I will shoot to take a little time off of that - not much, just a few seconds or so. Goal is 29:10 which would give me a 9:43 mile. Blazing fast for me! LOL

Mile 1 - 9:42 Feel good, everything is right in my world.
Mile 2 - 9:56 Huh? Well, no matter. I still feel good and I know with a little focus I can still do this. I need to hit about 9:31 for this last mile - a challenge but I am going for it.
Mile 3 - Oh wait. We are stopped at mile 2.51 by a guy needing directions. Yes, even though the neighborhood is crawling with people and construction workers, he stops Cosmo and I. He stops up ahead of us and waits for for us to approach, window down, arm waving at us. No way I can pretend I don't see him and buzz on by. I give him the directions, he asks a few questions about greyhounds and makes a few inane comments about me running with my dog (all while I stand there, dripping sweat and still huffing and puffing) and then he drives off. Momo and I stand there. You know, we so don't want to move. If I turn around, I can see the back of my house about 250 feet away. Momo refuses to look at me, he is turned around, staring intently at the back of the house.

I hit the start button on the Gar'mean' and I attempt some forward motion. My knees and hips probably made audible creaking noises as if I were the Tinman caught out in a rainstorm without my trusty oil can. Momo registers his discontent with this plan by hanging back at the very end of his leash with absolutely no slack. I push ahead, dragging my protesting dog and we slog on to the end.

Mile 3 - 9:40 3 miles @ 29:20 for a 9:47 pace. I think I could have hit 29:10 if I didn't stop but I am still happy. :-)

3 comments:

Bridget said...

I am sorry but that is down right RUDE to stop someone while they are running. WTF is wrong with people? And for this person to ASK YOU QUESTIONS. Really. Are you that clueless. Unless your ass is on fire or someone is trying to kill you, find someone else, any one else! The other day I was running in the University area and a guy wanted to ask me a question about buying his freakin' couch? I was like are you kidding me! Do you see I am running. Then that scene from Silence of the Lambs came into my head and I started to run faster.

I do have to give you HUGE props for keeping the pace. Awesome job. You are SO going to kick my ass in the next 5k.

Shannon said...

Don't you just hate people sometimes!? Don't you wish you were the kind of person who could give him the WRONG directions on purpose?

And by the way, with those kinds of times, no more whining about being the slowest. Maybe Bridget is the slowest now. hee hee.

K said...

What kind of garmin do you have?