Running is a big question mark that’s there each and every day. It asks you, ‘Are you going to be a wimp or are you going to be strong today?' - Peter Maher, Irish-Canadian Olympian

Sunday, March 23, 2008

Austin

Austin impressions:

Nice, nice city. It was much bigger than I expected, very sprawling. Traffic was horrific. No other word for it and I am not exaggerating. I think nothing of driving into Midtown Manhattan on a weekday and I was still aghast at the traffic on I-35. Sunday afternoon, it was stopped in both directions. Whenever we mentioned it to the locals, their response was identical. "Oh, I never, ever take 35. I avoid it!" We got in Sunday, picked up our rental and headed to San Antonio to see the Alamo.

Most everyone we met was from somewhere else - mostly the northern midwest. I did talk to one person born and raised in Austin and they were not happy with the growth of their city.

People were very, very nice, very friendly. We hit some nice vegetarian restaurants:
http://www.mrnatural-austin.com/
We ordered the chips and salsa here as an appetizer. I could not believe the amount of chips they brought us! I told the wait staff they could take half of them back and we still wouldn't be able to finish the remainder! I love chips and salsa so in addition to my tamale plate (just what do the corn husks add to the dish?) I did my best to tackle that plate and ate myself sick. LOL

http://motherscafeaustin.com/
The husband had the TLT sandwich here and said it was one of the best sandwiches he's ever had. They offered us chips and salsa and looked a bit askance when we demurred (askance and demurred????? How highfaulutin'!) but we learned our lesson at Mr. Natural. I had the tofu enchiladas. Simply divine.

Man, oh, man, how I love mexican food.

I was hoping for nice weather as a break from our usually crappy spring but it wasn't too be. It wasn't really bad weather but it wasn't lay out by the pool, nice weather. Monday was breezy and decent - I did get my 7 mile run in. Hotel gave me a route that took me up and down a couple of canyons. WTH? I thought Texas was flat! LOL It was hard and I did have to walk once for a couple of minutes but I got the job done.

2 comments:

All my tomorrows said...

I guess you knew I'd have a few comments about this post ;-).

Sprawling?: you must live in a small place! Ha! I think of my city as sprawling but Austin?...not quite yet!

Traffic: I think that SXSW music festival was going on while you were there which would account for more cars on I-35. That or construction or an accident. Otherwise, 35 is a BIG NOTHING where traffic is concerned usually. But I do live in a city where there is REAL traffic and actually something to complain about. Austinites will complain about delays, however, because it's been almost unheard of there for years. So 10 cars backed up gets them very out of sorts LOL. Sorry about that though :-(.

Did your run include any of the Town Lake trail? I was hoping they'd send you there because it is so pretty. AND FLAT. And you may remember me complaining about the Austin Marathon hills last year? Yeah, they don't call it the "Hill Country" for nothing! It busted my ass, that is for sure.

Both of the restaurants you went to are good. Mother's Cafe in particular. Hate to tell you this but REAL Mexican food is not vegan. NADA. ;-p. We do like our tortilla chips to excess as you found out the hard way!!!

It got cooler this weekend so yep, not a good one for pool time. Come back in August and we'll give you all the pool time you can handle.

Sorry I could not get away from Pompeii madness to meet you. I would have LOVED that. ANd sorry I didn't think to at least email you some "things off the beaten path to see there". Duh.

Doing double time: loved the NYC post. Your Mom is a hoot!!! :-) How fun. The Bridge picture is worth publication. Fabulous.

P.S. Yeah, a lot of people in Austin and San Antonio are now "not from there". That is the nature of a lot of big business moving here for the tax breaks. They've been complaining about "all those Yankees moving in" since 1885, however. LOLZ.

Anonymous said...

Great trip! :o)

jen