Running is a big question mark that’s there each and every day. It asks you, ‘Are you going to be a wimp or are you going to be strong today?' - Peter Maher, Irish-Canadian Olympian

Monday, February 04, 2008

Pa-Tee-Tee

Our newest foster:





Patina, just turned 6 in January, a little red brindle girl. She was adopted out of MA group (who expressed NO interest in her return to them or a financial assist to the group here who took her in!). A bounceback - her people had a few reasons why they couldn't keep her but I think it boils down to the usual, 'she just didn't fit into their lives anymore'. Thankfully, they did contact a local group that didn't have room for her but put the word out and so W's group took her.

She is a very sweet girl, loads of spunk and personality. She entered our home and was at home, relaxed and ruling the roost, within 5 minutes. However, yesterday, when I took her to B's house for a little cat testing - it was a completely different story. They probably thought I was on crack because the playful, confident, secure dog I had been raving to them about was no where in sight. Instead, she was stressed, anxious, insecure and definitely did not relax much there. Turns out Patina is an actress. She put on a good show of confidence at my house, because, let's face it, my two boys are an embarassment of wimpiness*, even in the gentle, quiet world of greyhounds. Then Patina came up against B's three dogs, who, while very gentle and well-behaved, exude self-confidence as visible auras**. Face to face with true canine confidence, she folded like a cheap lawn chair.

She has her vet checkup today and then will be ready for a home.

*Mal and Mo are as passive as they come but they have their moments, especially Mo. They are dogs, after all. Last night, while turning the dogs out (I held Mal back so he wouldn't get pushed or jostled around), Patina hit her side and leg against the doorframe. She yelped and held her back leg up. While I tried to get around and check her out, Cosmo, who was in front of her, immediately turned around and went at her leg. Not really biting but snapping at her. He got a push and a shove and a 'Knock it off'. He immediately spun around and went at her again (she was still crying out at this point). He actually made contact this time and pulled off a little tuft of hair. Little bastard. My correction was of a harsher variety at this point (harsh meaning I really smacked his ass and in the 'Voice of God' told him 'I. SAID. KNOCK. IT. OFF.') He sulked off, properly chastened and I tended to Patina (no lasting harm done). Cosmo spent the rest of the evening avoiding me, flinching if I got to within 3 feet of him, afraid to look at me. Anyone seeing his behavior would have thought I beat him regularly. Patina spent the night, afraid to get up off the bed and afraid to go through the doors to go outside.

**Even Rimmy, who we joke is always worried and fretful. He has no problem making his wishes known. If he wants on the couch and there isn't room, he will stand there or pace until you make room or will climb up anyways and wedge his 90 lb body in a 1 foot square space.

4 comments:

Iowa Greyhound said...

Patina is beautiful! Even with the drama, it makes me want a foster in the spring!

Anonymous said...

what a lovely face.
i don't really understand the "doesn't fit into our lifestyle" comment. i get it for sky diving. or knife juggling.

but i won't judge. i just don't understand.

or MA's attitude.

i'm lost.

i'll find solace in checking out that mug again.

bazu said...

She's pretty! I hope I get to meet her.

the little one said...

You're so wonderful to take her in. She's very lucky to benefit from your kindness.