Running is a big question mark that’s there each and every day. It asks you, ‘Are you going to be a wimp or are you going to be strong today?' - Peter Maher, Irish-Canadian Olympian

Wednesday, November 07, 2007

First WW meeting

After the 5 pm core conditioning class - which kicked my ass. No, I mean, seriously, it kicked my ass. I felt like the biggest wussy having to stop in the middle of repetitions. It was one of the hardest classes I have ever taken. I actually felt a little nauseous at points. But I digress.....after the class, I saw them setting up for the WW meeting and I went over to introduce myself to the women.

It was obvious I was a Y instructor (I am sure the red YMCA instructor jacket gave it away). I told the woman I was signing up and that probably 3 or 4 more new people would be signing up with me too. She gets a whole new happy look on her face (cha-ching) and then it is quickly replaced with a worried look. She gazes at me, looks me up and down and then says,

"Are you sure you are appropriate for our program? The minimum weight loss needed to qualify is 5 pounds."

In my mind, I immediately saw her bathed in angelic light and heard the choirs.

In reality, I quickly assured her that 5 lbs was a mere drop in the bucket compared to what I need to lose. She continued to have a doubtful and skeptical look on her face (Bless her!). I could tell that my red instructor jacket was blinding her to my chubby truth and that she needed some serious convincing.

The only way to really show her the ugly truth was.....well, to show her the ugly truth. I lifted my jacket and shirt and proceeded to grab my midsection with both hands and make a 'doughnut' of all my pale, flabby fat. And for good measure, I waggled and jiggled my gut and repeatedly said, 'See? See? Can you see all of this?"

A look of horror came over her face which was quickly replaced by a sick look. She dropped her eyes, looked away and said, "Be back here in half an hour to sign up."

Oh, and to complete my humiliation for the evening? Their scale there weighed me the same as the recently-returned-to-the-store scale of doom.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know your post wasn't supposed to make me laugh but it did! The angelic choir... LOL!

I started back up at the gym last night. After doing 25 minutes of run 2, walk 1 reps... I was sick as a dog. I was so dizzy afterwards I almost fell going up the stairs to the parking lot. :o(

You were in good company! :oP

Jen

Bridget said...

I don't know what to say. LOL! Except now I can't get the image of you pulling your belly out and shaking it at the woman!

Anonymous said...

that's so funny. maybe not for you, but for the readers. you grabbing your belly and using it threateningly.
i pictured the woman being like hyacinth bucket from keeping up appearances.

All my tomorrows said...

That's Hyacinth BOUQUET, ihatetoast.

LOL :-)