Running is a big question mark that’s there each and every day. It asks you, ‘Are you going to be a wimp or are you going to be strong today?' - Peter Maher, Irish-Canadian Olympian

Saturday, November 03, 2007

Anyone run with a cell phone?

Met Sue, SD, KF and BS today at the west trail. Was planning to run 4. SD was injured for a while so her distances are down. She was going to run a mile and walk some. Sue and BS took off while KF and I hung with SD. It was a cold, crisp morning and Momo was wearing his rainbow bro:


SD started having breathing trouble at about .5 mile. A couple of times we walked for a few seconds while she tried to catch her breath. We hit the mile at about 13 minutes, she said she was going to walk another quarter and then turn around. She seemed ok so KF and I picked it up in a futile attempt to catch Sue and BS. We got to about 100 or so feet of them at the 1.5 mile turnaround.

On the way back, we just couldn't close the distance. We passed SD walking - still seemed good. When Sue and BS finished, they walked back. Right behind them, KF and I started to walk back when we finished. All of a sudden, Sue passes us at a run, saying she has to get SD's inhaler (she took two hits off of it before running but then left it in her car). KF went on to meet and stay with SD and I started back towards the car at a slow jog to meet up with Sue. My thinking was that the two of us sprinting half the distance each would be faster than one of us sprinting it all. I caught up with her in the parking lot, passed over Momo and took the inhaler and sprinted back to SD. All the time, I am wishing some of the faster people we know would come along. But it was just us. A couple of hits off of the inhaler and she was just fine. I certainly felt I could use a hit or two myself. I have run with my cell phone a few times before but didn't have it today. It all ended well today but no one really wants to depend upon my sprinting ability in the midst of an asthma attack.

On a different note, we have all decided to do weight watchers. Sue needs something easy and managable because her life is crazy, SD and KF I just plain need something. I have been pretty careful counting calories but my progress has slowed and it looks like I am stalled at 10 pounds gone. We start this Tuesday. I have an 'old school' scale but today, I wanted to up the ante so we got a fancy schmancy, bells and whistles scale. Tests for hydration and body fat,all with nice big digital numbers down to .2 pounds. Got it home, stepped on it.....it weighs 7 to 10 pounds heavier than the old school scale. I know it is just a number and the real number you want is just the difference but it still sent me to bed curled in a fetal position. Which scale is right? The husb maintains the old school scale matches the doctor scale at work so it is more accurate. Needless to say, bells and whistle scale is going right back to the store tomorrow. I can tell you right now if the WW scale at Tuesday's meeting weighs like that new scale, I will probably have an emotional meltdown right there in public. It's stupid, I know.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't believe how much you've lost recently, you look great!

I've heard great things about WW. There is a local program near you?

Jen

Anonymous said...

i can't believe you put a greyhound in horizontal stripes. you know what that's going to do to the image of his booty.

i've gained. one of hubby's employees has a bakery and keeps dropping loaves by. i hve 5 frozen loaves. i hate throwing food away, but i don't digest the bread well. i'm a rye baby anyway.

but now i'm running. time to get the tpuss into it, too.

should run with a mobile, but don't. also should run with id, but i'm thinking that when the CSI team strips me nakey they'll know it's me from my famously white, box-shapped tushy.

Sue said...

Is it ok to eat bad two days before WW?