Running is a big question mark that’s there each and every day. It asks you, ‘Are you going to be a wimp or are you going to be strong today?' - Peter Maher, Irish-Canadian Olympian

Sunday, October 28, 2007

Lost dog

The end of Day 2.

I hate this, just absolutely hate it....
http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php?showtopic=182669

Part of my angst is I just don't want to search. Riding home tonight with B, I just prayed over and over that they would find the dog tomorrow morning. I don't want to drive over an hour roundtrip. I have other ways I would like to spend my time. I just don't want to be doing this right now. But I have to search for this dog because these people decided to let their greyhounds run loose. Their greyhounds were different - they wouldn't run off. If I had my way, when this dog is recovered, she wouldn't be going back to them. Unfortunately, their adoption group is defunct and I have no say in the matter but I do wish someone would be the voice for this dog.

I can't quite get a handle on the owners - they were ready to write her off as dead ("she ran until she had a heart attack") within 4 hours of her being gone. I am trying to be nice and pleasant to them but I can hardly look at them. My disgust for them is simmering so close to the surface, I try not to have much to do with them. They knowingly and habitually let their 9 year old, spooky greyhound run free. But they thought, she was different than other greyhounds. They could trust her. Yeah, whatever. This is that girl's second night out alone and it is going to get down below 40 degrees tonight. They will be warm, safe and comfortable in bed. As someone said, they might as well as just stuck the needle in her leg themselves and killed her. Harsh, yeah, but undeniably true. Greyhounds can NEVER (and never means no exceptions) be off leash.

The girl is shy and isn't going to be coming to people. I got to within about 100-150 feet of her and she wasn't having anything to do that. She wasn't interested in Cosmo. I tried 'finessing' her to us by ignoring her, yawning, playing with Cosmo, sitting down - none of it worked. We might end up having to trap her.

Yeah, I am a little pissed. I spent 20 minutes tending to Cosmo's feet this evening. Several miles through wet, cut hayfields can be brutal on greyhound feet. That dog is a trooper - he was 100% game tonight.

Tons of flyers are out - they are usually the best way to find dogs. Unfortunately, when I did see this gal, she was about .5 mile from the nearest house and the main road (I am estimating that distance from the time it took me to get back to the farm - and at one point, when we lost sight of her over a hill, Cosmo and I were booking - we were going flat out. I mean, you know how I usually say when I run with Cosmo, his pace to keep up with me is just a brisk walk? Well, he was running this time.)

We are lucky in that we have a community that is willing to come together and search for dogs. And within that community, we have a few really determined, stubborn people who won't stop looking. If they have no success tomorrow morning, Cosmo and I will be out there, walking miles through the fields, looking for this dog. Because it isn't her fault she is out there.

Just venting here.....

5 comments:

All my tomorrows said...

Bless you.

bazu said...

bad dog owners piss me the hell off.

Iowa Greyhound said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Iowa Greyhound said...

They let her off leash on purpose? Uggh, hope the owners are helping you look!

I had a neighbor that let their grey off leash because it "stayed with them always". It always made me nervous.

Anonymous said...

my biggest fear EVERY DAY when i come home is that some jerk has opened our gate to the front and then the one to the back just to let the dogs go. we live close enough to the train station that the quick on and off for vandals is an issue. and i know they'd be gone. not to run away, but to run far for fun. they'd be lost or road kill just for a stretch.
i had to run after tamale when someoen let their little girl go unwatched at the dog park. she opened the gate just to let the dog out. LIVID! and her mom is a grey (was) a greyhound owner.

and people abandoned (jumped the fence) their dogs int he park to run after mine. the park looked like 3 people owned 14 dogs.

also not a good situation. but what could they do?

tamale came in exhausted. never got an apology. child never scolded.

when the child was there, i had to stand by the gate where the poo bins were. gagging.

and to write them off? where is the love. i was devastated when i lost a cat i had after 2 days. he's back. now i can't lose him.