Running is a big question mark that’s there each and every day. It asks you, ‘Are you going to be a wimp or are you going to be strong today?' - Peter Maher, Irish-Canadian Olympian

Saturday, September 15, 2007

NYC - Part II

Sunday - Day 2



Three things I have decided about NY.

1) No one sweats in that city. Seriously. We would head out and by the time we got the subway station on Broadway, the sweat would be pouring down my neck and my hair would be soaked. People were just strolling around me, cool as a cucumber. WTF?? I spent most the time looking like a drowned rat. One benefit was that I sweated so much my need for public bathrooms was practically nil.



2) People are way, way too nice in NYC. We practically got a private tour in one of the museums we visited. Every time we even as much as slightly paused on the sidewalk, someone would ask us if we needed directions. Once, just slowing down in front of the steps in a subway station, I asked Jen if we were heading up or down town. Two old men were right there asking where we were heading. Once, walking down a street in Harlem, we asked one man for directions and the three of us were interrupted by another woman chiming in with her version of the directions. Where is the cynical, push-you-aside-to-get-where-I-need-to-go New Yorker?



3)Every single freaking male subway employee is African-American, Hispanic or some other non-Caucasian demographic and is absolutely drop dead GORGEOUS. Is is a job requirement? Ladies, I am telling you, we saw some FINE men working those trains and they knew it too. They knew we were checking them out and were all about making eye contact and smiling.



Sunday, our plan was to hit a couple of 'living' museums, you know, the type where they have restored private homes to a certain historical era. We had a few letterboxes we wanted to get and we were going to hit Vegetarian Dim Sum House in Chinatown and an art place.



First up, the Morris Jumal Home. We thought it was closed because it was locked up. We finally were let in with a scolding from the employee because we wandered from door to door and she couldn't find us. Now, she was a good old-time brusque New York public servant :-) The Morris Jumal House:



Jen acting as Henry the Navigator



She did an awesome job. Usually when I travel with the husb, I have to do all the navigation so it was a treat to relax and be told where to go. It was also a delight to travel with someone who shares my delight in public transportation and living museums :-)



I don't know what I was thinking but I took no pictures of the Merchant's House Museum. The Morris Jumal House was fine but if you like this kind of stuff, the Merchant's House Museum is a must see stop in NY. This place is great.



I was very excited to go to Vegetarian Dim Sum House in Chinatown because I heard so much good about it. Maybe it was an off day but I wasn't really impressed and I don't think Jen was either. All the fried food had a tired, identical taste as if the it was all fried in the same old oil. Jen did like her fresh kiwi juice:



We ordered sweet and salty dumplings, which were stuffed with vegetables and decent tasting:


Spinach dumplings. I actually liked these but I don't think Jen cared for them.


Steamed 'pork' buns. Blah.


Fried turnip cakes. Blah.

Sorry about the quality of pictures - I tried taking these without a flash as to not disturb the other diners.

After eating, we hit Pearl Art Store on Canal Street. You could tell it was back to school time because there were tons of students wandering around clutching their supply lists. The store was awesome and Jen was positively orgasmic, wandering around, looking at all the handmade paper. I actually think she might have moaned once or twice out loud LOL. The paper was beautiful and very reasonably priced. I picked up two sheets to use to make books.


We found two letterboxes this day, one up by the Cloisters and one, Halloween Adventure, which ranks right up there in my fave five boxes ever. We had a blast with this box. Location was great, clues were great, it was just awesome. I would definitely recommend this box to anyone heading to NYC.

2 comments:

bazu said...

Ok... how does A. feel about you chatting up all those fine subway workers...? Hmmmm???

michelle said...

No one sweats...much hotter here than a Syracuse summer, (my hometown) you get used to it.
I found your blog through bazus, through the ppk--yay vegan runners!