Running is a big question mark that’s there each and every day. It asks you, ‘Are you going to be a wimp or are you going to be strong today?' - Peter Maher, Irish-Canadian Olympian

Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Wednesday Run Report

W and I have been thinking a lot of about the half, which one, what time of the year, how to train, etc. Up until now, our training has always been the 'get out and run and try to do it a little faster and/or longer each time. Yep. Not very scientific or guaranteed to get results. And we haven't gotten many results. :-) We need a serious half plan. I have been reading about this one. More info here.

Pros:
Workouts are very specific.
3 weekly runs
Seems to have a reasonable success rate
Lots of down time
Low mileage = less chance of injury

Cons:
Only 3 weekly runs but those runs are hard

Today I ran 4.5 by myself. Too hot and humid for Momo and W had a prior engagement. I decided to mix it up and so I did 4x400 speed repeats. My original plan was to do six but I was too tired after 4. That might be a problem on FIRST.

When we ran Saturday, I was shooting for 11:30 pace. Our first two miles were under 11 and we hit 3 miles at 11:03 pace. It seemed like every quarter mile I was giving Sue the 'palm face down slow it down' motion. Today, keeping in mind the 400 repeats, I was determined to be very slow with a 1.5 mile warmup. I clocked it right at 12 m/m. Perfect. My goal was to shoot for a 2:35 400s (10:20 m/m).

First 400 was 2:25 (9:40 m/m). Oops. But how was I to know? I just started running. Second and third were a little bit slower but still under 10 m/m pace. Fourth and last 400 was around 2:33. I ran 400 slowly in between each repeat to recover. Of course, by the end of the 4th repeat, I was feeling vaguely nauseous and walked .25. I must say, though, it was fun. It broke the run up nicely. And it was fun to run fast - remember, in this case, speed is all relative. I felt like I was a kid, running so fast. It made me wonder just what it must feel like to run those 5 - 6 minute miles. Overall pace was 12:15. Not too bad considering the .25 walk.
I will probably need a nap today :-)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

do you think the palms down thing made it look like you were getting down with your bad self instead of wanting to slow down?

(and yes, coach meanie, i did run. 13 minutes. thanks)

bazu said...

Hey, when I woke up this morning and realized it was chilly, I thought of you! Perfect running weather, although I hear the next 2 days might be hot again.

Oh, thanks for your comment on my blog! I'm glad to hear I've inspired you and Bridget to booze it up, mojito style! hee hee. We must do it again, soon! I'm thinking, cocktail party in a couple of weeks?

Marcy said...

Thanks for stopping by ;D I loovveeee my celeb gossip, it's good to know I'm not alone LOL.

I'm also using FIRST for my HM. It is a little intense . . .if you want it to be LOL. I purposely picked a 5K time that is slower than what I can run, so it doesn't take ALL the fun out :P The only thing is that I'll have NO idea if I've improved or not since I have nothing to base it off of. We'll shall see . . .

IHateToast said...

p.s. have run 3 times with tamale. 2 or 2:30 minute run/jog intervals. whee

KleoPatra said...

It's been unbearably humid even here in SoCal. It's hard to think about running and training when the weather is this uncooperative. Methinks you can do this half training thing no prob when things cool down a bit. i know you can.