Running is a big question mark that’s there each and every day. It asks you, ‘Are you going to be a wimp or are you going to be strong today?' - Peter Maher, Irish-Canadian Olympian

Saturday, August 25, 2007

Three Strikes, am I out?

8 am. 80 degrees and 80% humidity. Three lousy runs in a row.

I know that this is SOP for some of you southern runners, but for us above the Mason-Dixon line? It is pure hell.

Schedule called for 6 miles.
The only shows were Bridget, Bill and me. Everyone else has some sense. Bridget and I talk about cutting it down to 4. Bill says he is going for 6. We stash our water at the start point (you will see the significance of this later).

About a mile in, Bridget says let's cut it to three miles. I am all over that. We are doing about a 11:30 pace at this point. We get to the turnaround and at the two mile mark, I apologize and slow to a walk. It was like running in a sauna. Bridget didn't seem all that upset about walking. Of course, Bill just happens to pass us on his way back as soon as we started walking. As he passes us he says he is only doing 4. After less than a quarter mile walk, we start up again. I am thinking to myself, 'can I run any slower and not be walking?' At one point, I actually hear her exhale and ask her, 'did I just hear you breathe?' While I am a 'huffer-puffer' runner (I actually sound like a 90 yr old asthmatic running), Bridget never breathes heavy. When she struggles with a run, it is always with leg and lower body fatigue and discomfort, never cardio-vascularly. So to hear her huff, even if it was only once, was strange. We manage to make the last three quarters of a mile and grab our water.

Someone let their dog pee on our water bottles! Not only is that rude but could have some serious consequences in weather like this. We could have been doing a really long run and was counting on that water. Nasty, nasty, nasty and shameful. I hope your dog pees in your bed.

I am still undecided about running in Montreal. Do I need a break or just cooler weather? I will bring my gear and decide later.

So now I have cooled off enough to shower - I hate showering when you haven't cooled down enough and you keep sweating after getting out of the shower - I am going to use the peppermint soap judiciously. We are going to hit the State Fair tonight to see Dickey Betts and the Outlaws. Oh man, it is enough to make me feel 16 again! I am off to practice my rock hands!

2 comments:

IHateToast said...

that is so rude! how can anyone not know what their dog is peeing on?

i hope the state fair and your rock hands erase that memory.

Anonymous said...

Get back! Get back! Get back to where you belong....

Okay, slightly different words, but I think you'll be pleased when you get back to the "states." Cool, cool nights and mornings have been fabulous! Running heaven for you my friend!

Jen