Running is a big question mark that’s there each and every day. It asks you, ‘Are you going to be a wimp or are you going to be strong today?' - Peter Maher, Irish-Canadian Olympian

Thursday, August 02, 2007

Status Quo

Weatherman said it was the 3H's today. Hazy, hot and humid. Forecast to get in the low 90's so I didn't take Cosmo this morning. He still isn't speaking to me LOL. Why is it harder to run when it is humid? I swear that not a single nanodrop of sweat evaporated off of me today. I wasn't feeling 100% when I headed out. My tummy was a little off and I didn't want to eat breakfast but I made myself eat a Toasted Nut and Cranberry Luna Bar. Usually I love these but this one tasted like cardboard - definitely not enough cranberries. I ended up walking 2 minutes at the 2.25 mark. Got the 4.25 in though and frankly, some days that by itself it a huge accomplishment for me even if they are almost 12 minute miles.

My run playlist hasn't been working for me lately and I have been too lazy to make a new one. I came across this from some other blog and decided to try it out. While I know some people who listen to podcasts and NPR while running, I always listened to music before because I thought it was more distracting and motivating. To my surprise, it wasn't too bad listening to his podcasts. Today I listened to the one he did about repulsive body functions that happen while running. To my great sorrow, our favorite term, gut bomb, was not used but it was entertaining nonetheless. Because he records a lot of the podcast while on his own long runs, I especially like those moments when he is silent and all I hear is his heavy breathing along with mine. Because I usually run with someone, it is a very familiar sound to me. I don't think these podcasts will become an every run thing with me - I like running with music way too much - but they are definitely going to be part of my running motivation stash from here on out.

1 comment:

IHateToast said...

try to run to "wait wait don't tell me"
i like knowing that run is 45 minutes. i know teh show well enough that i can anticipate how far along i am in my running. i just get cranky when i can't hear paula because of a truck.

then "this american life" is a good one. that's a good hour's run.

clearly i'm back to grammar girl length. soon. soon i'll be running to wwtdm again. (fists in the air)