Running is a big question mark that’s there each and every day. It asks you, ‘Are you going to be a wimp or are you going to be strong today?' - Peter Maher, Irish-Canadian Olympian

Thursday, August 02, 2007

Meme it up!

I was tagged. Couldn't dodge and make it to home fast enough. LOL. Okay bazu, here you go......(I must admit, while composing these things aren't my favorite because I am a lazy ass, I do love to read everyone's responses :-))

What were you doing 10 years ago?

1997? Hmmmmm...... On a whim, I picked up Ingrid Newkirk's book, Save the Animals - One Hundred One Easy Things You Can Do from the library. I was ovo-lacto vegetarian at the time, for no other reason than I didn't really care for meat and I thought it gave me some kind of inner ethical cache. At that point, I really hadn't done any research or even soul searching as to my relationship with other species or my food. After reading through the book, I thought that I might just try to take it to the next step. I mean, how hard could it be to give up eggs, dairy and cheese? (Yes, I know cheese is dairy, but most of us know cheese, in the sense of giving it up, is in a category all its own). Also, until reading this book, I was not aware that there was a whole category of writing that dealt with the issues of animal rights, speciesism, and veganism and I decided to investigate some more. This led me to the writings of Pete Singer, Andrew Linzey, Erik Marcus and John Robbins. It was a revelation to discover that this 'movement' had a history, had leaders and had a clear path of organic growth, albeit with many offshoots. I really felt like I was on the cusp of something, discovering it when a significant upswing was taking place and that real change was inevitable. In the almost ten years since, I believe that real change is happening. Yes, we have a long way to go but I have seen real and amazing change in the last 10 years. It gives me hope.

5 Snacks you enjoy

5 Songs you know all the lyrics to

(Oh lordy, this is really going to highlight my dorkiness to the world!)

  • Leaving on a Jet Plane (my brother, sister and I loved this song when we were little!)
  • Sweet Baby James (hmmmm, I wonder why? LOL)
  • Revolution Rock
  • The Battle of New Orleans
  • Be Thou My Vision

5 Things you would do if you were a millionaire

  • He works very hard now. My husband would never work another day in his life if he didn't want to.
  • Dream trips - North Africa, Tibet, Thailand, Vietnam, my list could go on forever.
  • Give, give, give - charities, friends, family, etc.
  • Own some property where I could have some animals. I grew up with a goat, Coco Joe. And I still miss him :-(
  • Hire a running coach for me and my friends. Girls......we would finally be able to run a sub 10 minute mile! LOL

5 Bad Habits:

  • Over eating and under exercising
  • Laziness
  • Slipping occasionally in my veganism
  • I am not very neat and my house is evidence of that!
  • Too self critical

5 Things You Like Doing:

  • Cooking and baking
  • Hanging out friends
  • Running with Cosmo
  • Reading
  • Napping

5 Things You Would Never Wear Again

  • Hiphuggers!
  • acrylic nails
  • big hair - yeah, I know I have big hair now because I have so much of it but I mean I would never, in an 80's way, tease it and make it bigger!
  • earth shoes
  • stirrup pants

5 Favorite Toys

We lived out in the country so we didn't have many toys so to speak. We didn't need them. We had acres of woods, animals, swimming holes, a barn and hayloft and trees to climb but I will give this one a shot.

  • I had one of those dolls whose hair grew out of the top of her head. You could shorten it back up by cranking a knob on her back.
  • My parents used to square dance. After they stopped, my sisters and I got all my mom's old petticoats and dresses and we used to love to dress up in them.
  • Cards. We used to play card games by the hour during the summer. Canasta, gin rummy, war, etc. Also used to play a lot of Yahtzee.

3 comments:

bazu said...

I love this post- thanks for putting up with my incessant tagging!
I know what you mean about hair- mine's already big, and I spend all my time trying to make it less big. Why, why, would I tease it? That is so cool that you had a goat- they are among my favorite creatures- those mysterious square eyes.

And very cool about the starts of your veganism. How cool that you've been doing this for over 10 years! My path started with an Ingrid Newkirk book too: "Kids Can Save the Animals, Too!" I read this when I was in the 5th grade, and totally forgot about it. But a part of it must have stuck with me.

IHateToast said...

i'm going to have to change mine (it's still in draft) because you reminded me of PP&M's 10 year anniversary album. i know all those. and free to be you and me, too.

you took me way back

"i eat guacamole and chips" io, europa, ganymede, and callisto. the gallilean moons of jupiter and your snacks.

i miss from foodhole/wholepaycheck those yummy white cheesypoofs.

nom nom nom

All my tomorrows said...

Shoot, I HAD an Olympic caliber coach last summer and STILL can't run a sub 10 mile...but thanks for the thought (I assume I was included since I'm a "running friend" ;-) )!