Running is a big question mark that’s there each and every day. It asks you, ‘Are you going to be a wimp or are you going to be strong today?' - Peter Maher, Irish-Canadian Olympian

Sunday, July 29, 2007

Week's end

Thank goodness. We did get all the scheduled miles in for this week - some slower than others. Cosmo had an "I don't wanna run" epiphany on Friday.
Okay, every dog is entitled to a couple :-) I sure have plenty of them so I am not going to begrudge him his.

Our weekend run scheduled was for 5.5 miles. Usually we run on Saturday morning but I pushed it back to Sunday because Bridget and I spent most of Saturday at the Grapehounds event about an hour and a half away. We went to sell cupcakes (not many sold - who the heck wants to buy cupcakes when there is plenty of booze around and it is 90 degrees?) and to support Jen who was vending her art. She did awesome - her linocuts really seemed to strike a chord with attendees.

So back to running. This morning, I wasn't expecting to take Cosmo. I wanted to give him some more rest days and it was hot and muggy. 85 degrees on my home thermometer at 8:30 am. But I spent all morning listening to this:


I love it how he whines and then looks away as if to say, "I am so disappointed I can barely stand the sight of you" So I am not proud to say I crumbled and decided to take him and see how it went.

Within the first quarter mile when I was scooping Cosmo's usual start-to-run-poop, we saw Bill coming down the path. First thing he said, as he gave me a meaningful look was, 'It is pretty hot'. But we had taken this into account and made some change in plans. The initial dogless plan was to run the out and back loop for 4 miles and then cross the bridge and run on the east trail for .75 and double back to the starting point for the complete 5.5. Instead, we ran the 4 mile loop and then doubled back on it for .75 and back for our total because it was shaded and the east trail isn't. I put a cooler of water at our start/4 mile/finish point. We walked for 2 minutes at every mile marker. I also (for the first time ever) ran carrying a water bottle which I used to douse Momo's ears, underarms, inside of his thighs and belly at every walk point. At about the two mile mark (exactly where he stopped on Friday) he stopped and just stood in the shade. I thought for sure we were going to have to walk back and call it quits. But after a water dousing and his two minute walk he was ready to go again. He seemed to hit his stride and comfort level at this point and didn't really want to take the last two walk breaks but I made him. He did his little biting/mouthing my hand to try to get me to get going again.

Considering the walk and dousing breaks, we still did a 12 m/m. It was hard though, and I was tired for the last 2 miles or so. Makes me wonder how I will be able to do 13.1 or even 6.2 if I get this tired over 5.5.

3 comments:

bazu said...

Oh, Cosmo and his adorable whining! Who could resist?
I want to hear more about Grapehounds- how could people resist your cupcakes??
And... yes, I've done it again. I've tagged you over on my blog...

Scott McMurtrey said...

I'm glad you take your dog running with you. And I think by stopping in the middle of the run he just wanted to show you how much he really loved it out there - he didn't want to go home. :)

IHateToast said...

i've been slack. now you're making me get back into it aaaaaaall the way o'er yonder upover.