Running is a big question mark that’s there each and every day. It asks you, ‘Are you going to be a wimp or are you going to be strong today?' - Peter Maher, Irish-Canadian Olympian

Monday, June 18, 2007

Runnin' fools

After a good run on Friday........Sunday came around :-(

But between Friday and Sunday was Saturday and Saturday was Green Lakes Tri day :-) Wen and I decided to bring the dogs out and spend the morning watching people expend lots of energy. I have done Green Lakes twice - never fast, always waaaaaaay back of the pack. Okay, middle of the pack out of the water :-). I then spent the bike and run leg watching people pass me and then I finished back of the pack. If only the race ended after the swim...... I thought watching the race, I might be wistfully yearning, wishing I was in the race. Nope. Didn't have one iota of yearn in my body. I was just thankful that I wasn't out there. It was great to watch everyone. Even though it is 'just' a sprint tri, it is still an awesome accomplishment for everyone who finishes. One thing that struck Wen and I was how some people just dilly-dallied in the transitions. I am not one to pass judgement on any of them - they were out there and I sure wasn't but it was clear that time wasn't a huge consideration for some of them. I mean, I was slow but never in transition. I needed all the time I could get in the various legs :-)

Back to Sunday's run. We were going to call an audible on 3.5 or 4 miles when the time came. Our goal was an easy 12 m/m and to enjoy ourselves. Well, I called 3.5 at the 1 mile mark and we struggled to make our (easy!) time. I felt like I was running in water up to my thighs. I wanted to quit every half mile. Both Wen and I struggled mightily with that run. Cosmo had no problem. We did 3.5 at a 11:48 m/m pace and that was with a huge final quarter mile, almost vomit-inducing push to keep it under 12. Pathetic.

We met this morning to run 3 and I was dreading it after yesterday. Surprise, surprise, it wasn't bad. I felt good. No idea of time because I forgot to bring my watch but it was good. Again, Cosmo had no problem with it :-)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You guys are great! I can't believe how well you're doing. :o) Is your next race the Bud Run? The 10k?

Jen

Sue said...

You always told us (then admitted later that it was not always true) "You can't have two bad runs in a row"!!

KleoPatra said...

Yay!! Thanks for the update on that race you went to and also on your own training. Go you!