Running is a big question mark that’s there each and every day. It asks you, ‘Are you going to be a wimp or are you going to be strong today?' - Peter Maher, Irish-Canadian Olympian

Sunday, May 20, 2007

New York, New York.....

a helluva town
The Bronx is up but the Battery's down ***

The stay-at-home orders were trumped by parental duties. Saturday, 5:30 am, I hopped in the Prius (gas prices, y'all) (51.2 mpg down, 49.1 mpg back) and tooled on down the highway to attend to one of the youngsters.

Easy drive down for the most part until I missed the Lincoln Tunnel exit. How? I never have before. I was truly and honestly lost in New Joisey. Yikes. I started following signs to the Holland Tunnel (get me out of the industrial wasteland and back to sweet civilization!) and resigned myself to driving up to midtown on the westside highway. When, lo and behold (seriously, it happened like a revelation minus the angel singing) I spotted a very, very small sign for the Lincoln Tunnel. I followed them all the way through some part of New Jersey right to the tunnel and it was backed up. Seriously, backed up like I have never seen it before. I was stopped in traffic way, way back from even when the curve begins. It took me almost an hour to get through.

Then I am through and right smack dab on 42nd and NOT 34th. So I do one of those little rectangular drive arounds trying to get where I need to be and 9th Ave is closed off for some dadblamed street fest.

I have never had such trouble getting to 31st. I did make it though and we loaded up the prius with stuff for a storage unit. Where did the offspring get her storage unit? Way, way up in the 260's. I don't even know the exact street. I thought we were back in New Jersey.

We unloaded her stuff and headed back. We couldn't manage to manuever to the Henry Hudson so we stayed on Broadway and it was a cool straight easy shot down. Until we hit the 50's and then it was stop and go, bumper to bumper and took 40 minutes to go the 30 blocks.

At this point, we park the prius (for $20 in a lot. #1 there were no, and I mean no, spots around. #2 husb would have had a hissy fit if he knew his prius was parked on the street) and picked up the roommate. We didn't get vegan dim sum but walked to 23rd and 6th to Burritoville and I treated the girls to dinner. I got a vegetarian chorizo burrito with black beans, brown rice, vegan cheese and sour cream in it. That puppy was huge and I inhaled it. Very delicious. I drove all the way back that night with my jeans unbuttoned.

After dinner, we put all the youngster's dirty laundry in the prius and headed north back home. We arrived home and I was in bed by 11 pm. Exhausted. I have already taken two naps today. All I kept thinking about was those people I know who have kids in their late 30's and early 40's. Those suckers are going to have to do all this college moving shit in their 60's!!! Points to me for having my kids in my 20's :-)

Mad props to me though......in a couple of weeks, I get to do it all over again. We will load up the Element this time - gas mileage be damned - and I get to move her into her very own apartment (lease signed and paid by us). This trip though, I will actually stay a couple of days to get her all settled and drive her crazy :-)


***extra points for anyone who knows where this is from (nothing to award you but I can give imaginary 'points'!)
5/21 - Edited to add: Ooooooh, we have a somewhat, kinda, contender here, folks. 3 sailors dancing - one was Gene Kelly, one was Francis Albert Sinatra and the last was Jules Munshin, all on 24 hour leave in NYC.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i don't know, but i see three sailors dancing. i've seen the flick, but can't name it.

i could cheat, but... i have my pride.

Anonymous said...

and i had to go look it up so i could down load it. (paid for it. i didn't pirate.)

that and three versions of "mad world" to keep me from being too happy.

gotta go. big day On The Town tomorrow.

bazu said...

I love this post! Reminds me that I haven't been to NYC in 3 months, dagscragit! Must. Go.