Running is a big question mark that’s there each and every day. It asks you, ‘Are you going to be a wimp or are you going to be strong today?' - Peter Maher, Irish-Canadian Olympian

Wednesday, May 23, 2007

7 Things about me

I am not a very interesting person but I have been tagged by Bazu to write 7 things about myself. Here goes:


1) I love to read. Sometimes it feels as necessary to me as breathing. I raised my three kids telling them, 'you are never alone if you have a book'. I can even actually remember that moment in first grade and how it felt when it 'clicked', when the words actually made sense to me.


2) I have been to 4 AC/DC concerts - in Canada, New York and Boston (I actually fell asleep at one!), 5 Lynyrd Skynyrd concerts and have seen BB King 5 times.


3) I am a lousy interview.


4) I was raised and baptised in the Southern Baptist Church (service Sunday morning, Sunday evening and Wednesday evening, y'all).


5) I am not a big fan of 'litmus tests' per se because, frankly, I think life is generally more complicated than black and white. But I have to say, this upcoming presidential election, unfortunately, I have one. I will not vote, no way, no how, for anyone who voted in favor of P.L. 107-243, the "Authorization for Use of Military Force Against Iraq Resolution of 2002. So, as much as I would love to, in my lifetime, vote and have a female president....Sorry Hill. It ain't gonna be you. Nope, nope, nope. That vote was crossing the line for me - unforgivable. 3,434 (as of today) times unforgivable. 70, 243 (as of today) times unforgivable. And frankly, I am not buying everyone's revisionist, 'oh, we have to jump on the anti-war bandwagon now that public opinion has turned against the war' stories. I was always against the war - from day one I knew this wasn't right. And what the f*ck did I know? Nothing. I had no access to privileged information. But I know lies and rot when I smell them and what they were trying to sell us stunk to high heaven. I wasn't buying it and neither were 133 representatives (including 6 republicans) and 23 senators (including 1 republican). I don't know how the remaining, who voted in favor of the authorization, sleep at night.


6) I do not watch war or holocaust movies. Or animal welfare movies, for that matter. I just don't need to see them. I know. And that is enough for me to handle.


7) I have been vegetarian for 13 years and vegan for 9. And every year it gets easier - more products, more information, more people trying to live as compassionately as possible.

And because she loves these types of things, I tag Jen. She has been busy at work lately, but maybe she can find the time to enlighten all of us.

6 comments:

Ian said...

I have never been to an AC/DC concert, but I wish that I had. How on earth did you manage to fall asleep at one?

bazu said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
bazu said...

Oops, I just deleted my comment for typos!

Word word and more word. My husband is now in love with you and your AC/DC & Lynard Skynnard ways. I'm with you on # 5 and 6. Sorry Hilary. No, dammit, you should be sorry for being a war-monger! And as for #6... I had to turn my head at Farm Sanctuary when they *forced* us to watch that horrible video. I've never seen "meet your meat" or "wegman's cruelty"- just don't need to. Like I'm not already feeling enough pain!

All my tomorrows said...

Interesting. I rarely read "the votes" and I read line for line the exact vote you were talking about and who voted what. That's all I'm going to say about that. HEy! I was raised Baptist, too. I'm not no more. Nuff said.

Toasty said...

i have been to 2 ac/dc concerts but couldn't imagine falling asleep ..... the iraq war continues .... everyday, everynight ..... it ain't right

Anonymous said...

i went to 2 metallica concerts because my boyfriend at the time was a fan. i wasn't. still am not. did see the talking heads, stray cats, and eurythmics.

john howard over here (bonzai, because he's a little Bush) can't get his head up W's clacker far enough. people say they won't vote for him, but they always do. people vote for the dollar or dollaridoo. depressing.

i wonder how many of those pollies really wanted to invade or were too chickenschitte to stand up to gwb. voted for a war, because they were too afraid that their dum bass constituents would vote them out. so what. have a dose of spine with that dollop of conviction.

when i read "we need to talk about kevin" by lionel shriver, it made me think of the people who knew from day dot that GWB was bad to the core and those who didn't see it.