Running is a big question mark that’s there each and every day. It asks you, ‘Are you going to be a wimp or are you going to be strong today?' - Peter Maher, Irish-Canadian Olympian

Monday, March 12, 2007

Enough is enough

Tonight, Cosmo and I met up with SW, SH and Sue to run the Y hills. The concession (because Sue and I raced Saturday and SW and SH haven't been running much) for us was to only do 3 loops instead of 4. I also told them that we should maybe focus on gradually building some speed. In other words, *cue title music* that enough was enough (although not in those exact words).

I mean, c'mon! I have been running 4 years and I just did a 4 mile race at a 12:15 pace. I WAS PASSED BY A FOUR YEAR OLD AND A BLIND RUNNER WITH A CANE. Yeah, I know, all the good stuff - it was a hard course, lots of hills, at least I am out there doing it, blah blah blah. But the truth is I think that I am comfortable. And especially, there is no reason for these 3 women to be running at this level - all three are better, natural runners than I am. We can't advance, improve and learn while nicely ensconced in our little comfort zones. So the three of them, when I informed them that increasing our pace was going to be a goal, well, they didn't actually kvetch, but there was some muttering - I know I heard muttering! AND THEN THEY WENT OUT THERE AND DID IT. These women have heart :-)

My best 5k time was 31:59, a 10:20 m/m. My son, who while in training for his first and second degree black belt had to consistently run 3 sub 8 m/m (he averaged in the 7:15-7:20 range) likes to tap my forehead and tell me my speed is up there. So my 2007 goal is that I am going to do my damnedest to break my PR. Goals we set are goals we get. Right?

Today we ran 2.61 miles in 29:32 for an 11:19 m/m. Next Monday we shall try to take 15 seconds off of that. 5 seconds a loop faster. An 11:13 m/m. I think I/we can do that.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, that is great. Last night I ran a 15:04 M/M I was hurting so bad, ROFL.

Don't forget about training for our 10K! The Weedsport one- the date you gave me- was for 2006. But even if we miss that one, here's one on the 16th

http://www.syracusechargers.org/swamprat/index.html

If you scroll down, there is a 5K and 10K. It says it is Oneida Lake area.

J

Sue said...

Don't worry she is working us hard!!! What is about me have natural ability? Sherrie and Sherry maybe and you definately. Me....NO. I have alway had to work for any athletic ability...I think that is why Teresa goes on these races with me.....To make sure that I don't die. LOL!!!! With your help and "tough love", I'll be able to do it.