Running is a big question mark that’s there each and every day. It asks you, ‘Are you going to be a wimp or are you going to be strong today?' - Peter Maher, Irish-Canadian Olympian

Sunday, February 04, 2007

Race Report

Today dawned cold and clear for the Mid Winter Blues 5k race. This was to be Jen's first official race. I haven't run in two weeks, trying to give my knee some time to heal, but I was determined to run in this race. First off, I had to deal with an hysterical dog the whole time I was getting ready. I tried to be nonchalent and lowkey. I didn't want to rub it in his face - "ha ha, I am going running and you aren't". But somehow he knew and he was beside himself.

It was very cold. 9 degrees at start time to be exact.
Below is a picture I took of the car's information screen right before the race. Check out the upper right corner where the temperature is.




Of course there was a very small turnout, only about 70 or so. But you know they were all the hardcore, diehards.

The race started fine. It was pretty slow going. I never felt bad but I never felt good. I never had that mid race 'Man, I can pick it up, I am feeling good, I am glad I am alive' feeling that I usually get (if only for a quarter mile of so LOL). The roads had some slush on them so the effect was as if we were running in sand. It was an out and back route with moderate hills. First off, I thought they were a little more than moderate. Second of all, when we turned around, we went right into the wind.....brrrrr! It was one of those circumstances where my eyes were watering, my nose was running and I was drooling at one point, because I couldn't feel my face!

My time was 36:47. I think that is my slowest 5k time ever. I am not too distraught over it though, considering the two week break and all. Just is a reminder that time off is literally time lost. The irony is Jen has been telling us that she has been plodding along on the treadmill at a 14 m/m pace. I had a discussion with Bridget about running with her or just going out and running my own race. I knew I could do faster than 14 and was hoping for the low 11's in an ideal world. I decided even if I thought I could pick it up, I would still stay with her to take it easy on my knee. Jen's time was in the 33's. She toasted me like I was a slice of stale whole wheat bread :-). It was a slow race overall, I think the cold and the road conditions added time onto everyone but it was nice. The sun was shining (I was regretting no sunglasses about two minutes into the race), the fellow runners were great. Jen had a great time and a great race and can't wait to repeat the experience.

Pre race Jen:

The two of us, postrace:

6 comments:

Sue said...

Great Job!!! Sorry that I was not there. I though it would be too cold for the boys!!

You know that the time was good...between the cold, wind, sun and not running for two weeks!!! You sure did better than me!!

Jen did in the 33's? That is great for the first time...Go Jen!!

Now it is time for Tip Hill....I have the application!!

Sue

Anonymous said...

I am so impressed. You two rock. It's been hovering at a high of 28 degrees here for the past couple of weeks (we even got snow 2 days in a row) and I'm just chilled to the bone. CANNOT GET WARM. No matter what. I guess I've just got too much CA weather in my blood. I don't know if I could have even come out to cheer you on seeing as how it's almost 20 degrees colder there than here!!! Good thing I live a few states away. ;-)

All my tomorrows said...

WoW! You did THAT TIMe in THOSE CONDITIONS???!! I am beyond impressed. Way to rock it!

- signed: Slow Runner Even in Good Conditions..hee! -

Anonymous said...

Cute picture of us together--I put it on my desktop. :o)

Jen

Anonymous said...

You describe the race perfectly. I was up visiting from the Gulf Coast of Mississippi where it was a warm 35 degrees. I pre-registered for the 5K and must be a diehard runner because I didn't let the weather deter me. Great group of warm, friendly people. I'm taking my third place age group ribbon back to Mississippi and marking my calendar for next year.

Alice Huffman

bazu said...

I really admire you guys being so active outside in our weather! And I really like your statement "time off is time lost" I want to make that my mantra! Today, I got back to the gym after way too long off (b/c of the wisdom teeth and esp. the weather) and it felt so good.

Congrats!