Running is a big question mark that’s there each and every day. It asks you, ‘Are you going to be a wimp or are you going to be strong today?' - Peter Maher, Irish-Canadian Olympian

Tuesday, January 30, 2007

From the depths of depression....

come great ideas or at least ones that will provide some action and meaning. Years ago, there was a vegetarian group in Syracuse that met once a month or every other month, for dinner. A devoted, core group, meaning me and some friends ( okay, one. The other one thinks we are crazy) are thinking about reviving this tradition. We figure we can approach restaurants, ask them to host us for a vegan meal on their closed day (usually a Monday) or a traditionally slow night. They can choose the menu, as long as it is all vegan, serve it as a buffet or as a sitdown, set a price and we will try to get people to come. We will charge the price of the meal and a buck or two extra for the gratuity. We think, *think* we might be able to get 15-20 people, at least initially. I am thinking we should be able to do this for $16 or less a person.

What is in it for the restaurants? Exposure to a new audience. Business on a traditionally closed or slow night. What is in it for the people? A chance to socialize with other like minded diners. A chance to try different restaurants, different cuisines and new food.

What do you think? Good idea? Bad idea? Any ideas for names? We should run a 'Name the Group' contest! LOL

10 comments:

bazu said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
bazu said...

Hey I'm in! One of my co-workers has a similar restaurant night with her group (not a vegetarian group, I think it's networking or something) at Alto Cinqo.

I've also been mulling over the idea of hosting vegan pot lucks, either at my place or a community center or rotating...

Anonymous said...

Oh man, I just wrote such a great email and Blogger says it "cannot be processed." It was clean, it was clean! LOL.
Jen

Anonymous said...

Okay... I'm back. I have an idea. Why don't you start an online CNY regional vegan/animal rights resource center? Get a website. Vegan restaurants (with reviews as you do now), places to get vegan ingredients for meals, vegan specialty ingredients (such as mid east, asian, latino markets in the city), vegan/animal rights events in the area, regional markets, places to buy organic produce & vegetarian dog food... a regional veg forum, reviews of veg books, etc.

As part of a regional resource center you could also invite veg's to join you for a monthly restaurant visit OR potluck at a community center, like Bazu mentioned.

Here's a listing I found:
http://www.vrg.org/links/local.htm
It would be great to have a website for "Everything Veg" in OUR area. :o)

Jen

Bridget said...

I am so excited about this! Once we get the word out I think it won't be a problem getting people to go and it is a win/win for restaurants - guranteed money and a new target group. As for the name I have been racking my brain -Vegetarian Diner's Club? Syracuse Omnivores? Vegeterians Do It Better Club?

runswithdog said...

Jen,

Little grasshopper - take it slow. One step at a time LOL You would try to get me setting up another freaking website LOL

What about Vegetarian Society of Syracuse? VSS? Or Syracuse Vegetarian Society? SVS?

I think the best bet would be to get one or two restaurant dinners under our belt, get an email list established along with relationships with some local groups, ie. PAR and CAP and then add potlucks and such.

Bridget said...

Okay I am an IDIOT (slapping my head) - Omnivores! What the hell was I thinking! I meant HERBAVORES. Anyhoo, I like SVS - Syracuse Vegetarian Society. It has a nice ring to it.

Anonymous said...

I think this is a great idea!

Believe me, if I were closer, I would love to participate! You could definitely count me in... but driving about 8 hours is a bit much for supper.. ;-)

I'm not officially vegetarian because if I eat out and they are serving meat, I won't refuse it.

But at home I never cook meat. I enjoy vegetarian food a whole lot more. I don't see the point in eating meat.

If ever you come to Québec, there is this fabulous veggie restaurant that I love going to. Le Commensal.

Oh I just googled it and they have it in Toronto too. Here is the link :

http://www.commensal.ca/

Is that your dog on your profile? He/she is soooo cute!

bazu said...

Dinner! Dinner! I want dinner with SVS! (or CNYVS? nahhh- way too long) How about "Orange not Blue"? "Orange you glad you're Veg?" Ok, ok, I'll stop. ;-)

All my tomorrows said...

That sounds like a great idea. We used to do that with a wine tasting thing several years ago at a local Italian restaurant. They loved it. Most restaurants are really open to that sort of thing. Can't wait to hear how it all goes.