Running is a big question mark that’s there each and every day. It asks you, ‘Are you going to be a wimp or are you going to be strong today?' - Peter Maher, Irish-Canadian Olympian

Saturday, December 16, 2006

Woohoo!

This week did not go quite as I expected. My plan was to run Monday (hills), Wednesday (three miles), Thursday (2 miles), Saturday (45 minutes). I got the Monday run done but somehow the next two runs simply vanished into the mists of other responsibilities and commitments. Needless to say, Cosmo was distraught and all up in my business continually. But this morning, Cos and I headed out to the park for our long, slow run, supplied with orange glazed scones for an after-run snack. Our plan was to run 45 minutes.

My inside, right knee has been hurting a little bit. Not much, just a bit. So I was determined to take it easy, nice and slow, about a 12 m/m pace. The west trail is 4 miles long and I figured I would be slightly before the turnaround at 22:30 minutes. I started out, feeling fine and imagine my surprise when I reached the turnaround at 22:36. Hmmmm....I thought. I might be able to do the whole 4 miles in 45 minutes. Just past the half way point, Bridg, doubled back to meet up with me (because she was way ahead of me being a fast little bugger) and took over Cosmo duty so I was free to concentrate on my running. I really, really can't wait for the hands free leash to arrive :-) I kept track of the quarter mile times. I knew it was going to be close and resigned myself to not making it in 45. I just slowed down slightly between 2.5 and 3 miles. I hit the last half mile to go mark at 39:30 and knew it was going to take some effort. When I got to the last quarter mile, I picked it up as much as I could and hit the start point at exactly 45:00 for an average 11:15 m/m. Certainly not 'fast' by any runner's definition but I am very, very happy to have set that pace over 4 miles. My goal is to eventually be able to do 4-6 mile runs under 11 m/m and I am beginning to feel it just might happen. :-)

Oh, by the way....the scones are spectacular. Vegan with a Vengeance. Everyone should have this cookbook.

2 comments:

All my tomorrows said...

Wow! You rock, sistah.

I wish I had had that much running motivation this weekend, but my head was hurting too much.

Keep up the good work.

runswithdog said...

Why, thank ye, ma'am. I am pretty happy lately with my running, so I know that some crap must be coming down the turnpike LOL