Running is a big question mark that’s there each and every day. It asks you, ‘Are you going to be a wimp or are you going to be strong today?' - Peter Maher, Irish-Canadian Olympian

Thursday, November 09, 2006

Doggy dental health

I get so tired of all the maintenance that humans need. I was supposed to weight train yesterday (Wednesday) afternoon. I taught two cycle classes Tuesday night, came home and showered. Got up Wednesday morning, ran, came home and showered. The prospect of having to (yet again!) shower Wednesday afternoon was beyond me. 3 showers in less than 24 hours. I just couldn't be bothered so I didn't lift so I wouldn't have to shower. Lazy, I know.

So in addition to all my own hygiene, and although all my children are grown, I find myself responsible for the hygiene for three other creatures in this household. I will admit that I have been remiss at times. Nails have gotten long, teeth have gone unbrushed, etc.

The last six months, though, I have been trying to do better. The catalyst? I came across a statistic that dogs with maintained teeth can have a lifespan of up to two years longer than a dog with bad teeth. Damn. I want those two years so I decided to get off my lazy butt and start working for them. All three dogs get their teeth brushed probably 5 days out of 7. I use a beef or chicken flavored doggy toothpaste with enzymes. I brush with a battery powered Crest spinbrush. I pull the jowls out, stick the brush back there and turn it on. Easy-peezy. All three do really well and don't seem to mind.

Cos's teeth were never all that bad. Both Angus and Mal had layers of plaque, especially on their canines. After a few months with the enzymatic toothpaste, Bridget was able to pick and chip the plaque off their teeth. (Yeah, that is right. Bridget chipped the plaque off. I don't pick my dogs' teeth and I don't pop their zits. That is what Bridget and Jen are for.)

The end result:
Mal:



Cos:


Ang:


Six months of brushing has made a huge difference and I hope that their teeth continue improving because I WANT THOSE TWO YEARS. Next on our agenda? Raw feeding research.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The greyhound rescue people really want me to feed a raw diet but there's no way in hell I'm chopping up chicken necks. Just typing that made me cringe inside. Blech!

All my tomorrows said...

A great book to start with is Kymythy Schulze's "Natural Feeding for Dogs and Cats". You can get it on B&N or Amazon very easily. Sue Johnston's "Switching to Raw" is quite good, too.

I consider raw feeding a preventative health measure for my pets. None of my dogs have had to have a dental since they were adopted. I do brush, also, though. Good for you for doing that!

Anonymous said...

Ever looked at Merial's Oravet? It's a once/week treatment that really works. Much easier and more effective than brushing.