Running is a big question mark that’s there each and every day. It asks you, ‘Are you going to be a wimp or are you going to be strong today?' - Peter Maher, Irish-Canadian Olympian

Tuesday, October 24, 2006

My life with books

I am still working on The Name of the Rose. I broke down and watched the film the other night with the husb (who has finished the book). He said it took liberties with the book (don't they all) but they sure didn't 'pretty up' the actors in it.

So, I have that by my bed, currently being read. I have on my 'to read' pile, the following:
The Plot Against America - Philip Roth
The World is Flat - Thomas L. Friedman
Moral Minority - Brooke Allen (a study of the role of Christianity in the founding of our country - turns out our founding fathers might not have been all that moral or Christian *giggle*)
The Last Week - Marcus Borg and John Crossan (A Day-by-Day account Of Jesus' final week in Jerusalem) I hope I can get through this book but my track record with books detailing the crucifixion isn't that great - I find them all too sad)
The Lost Gospel of Judas Iscariot - Bart Ehrman
Middlemarch - George Eliot

I really also must get back to my Modern Library Top 100 list. The way it is going it will take me 10 years to finish them all, with all the Joyce and Faulkner left for the bitter end :-/ I will not let my experience with Under the Volcano and Wide Sargasso Sea deter me from goal of reading them all.

3 comments:

All my tomorrows said...

Oh mi goodness..Ulysses is number 1 on that list...well, checkmark one for ME then! (don't give up on Joyce. I'm finding him to be an incredible treat. I think I'm finally CRAZY enough to read him..LOL!) That's a really cool list. I have bookmarked it. All your books in waiting seem interesting.

Anonymous said...

I am so envious. I haven't read anything that wasn't a textbook or required reading since January. (sigh) I have gotten to really study a few old classics, though like Frankenstein and some Shakespeare plays.
One of these days I too, will brave Faulkner again. (shudder)
:)

runswithdog said...

I am a little bit ahead of you. Can't quite figure this book out. I love the time period, enjoying the book, it just seems to be going slow - taking a lot of effort to read...