Running is a big question mark that’s there each and every day. It asks you, ‘Are you going to be a wimp or are you going to be strong today?' - Peter Maher, Irish-Canadian Olympian

Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Those who run.....

....seem to have all the fun.....~Madonna, Hung Up

I am paying the price for my two month sabbatical from running. Before the break, my running was at a low point anyways. I didn't feel motivated, was actually losing a little speed (not a biggie, you say? Well, when you run as slow as I do, losing a little speed means the walkers are right on my tail!) and just not feeling good about it. With the move, kids starting college, etc. I was overwhelmed and hence, the sabbatical.

What did this sabbatical get me? About 5 extra pounds around my middle. My gorgeous running companion, my White Shadow, lost his muscle tone. He went from that ripped muscle, ultra toned and hard body of a track dog (without the ticks, fleas, crappy coat and bare skin - yes, I know! Don't bombard me with emails! Not all race dogs are in this condition *coughcoughjustmostcoughcough*) to the body of a retired racer. Not that it is that big of a deal but I just gotta say, when we were running regularly, he was ripped and he looked kickass. Also, now, his nails are long. I never dremmeled his nails. Running on pavement always kept them down.

It is always a rude awakening how quickly fitness and endurance goes. I started running with the beginners group two weeks ago. Usually I would ride my bike but due to my sabbatical I decided I would run with them and use that to get me back up to speed (I use that term only metaphorically, speed belongs in no sentence that concerns me and running). Anyways, running with them has been going good.

So, Cos and I went out for a little run this morning. It was our first time running in the new neighborhood. Absolutely gorgeous day - in the low 60's, sunshine, blue sky. He was so happy to be out, he was literally skipping ahead of me and turning his head back periodically to look at me. I could almost hear him saying, 'woohoo, woohoo!' He has been getting just walks lately which are also known as smelling strolls for the dogs. He needed a little refresher course in the difference between a run and a walk, but he remembered quickly :-)

It was a short run, very slow. One thing I do know is that while my running ability seems to leave me very fast when I take a break, it does come back fairly quick. It is a short learning curve, but very steep and painful.:-) Hopefully, the two cycle classes I am teaching every week will help also.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. How cool to meet another vegan greyhound owner!!!!

Would you mind posting a few pics of your greys in their PJ's (from different angles if possible) or emailing them to me privately (vivaciousvegan at gmail dot com). I actually just bought some fabric (that was clearanced!) at the store today and was thinking I would attempt making them. I saw a "unitard" on www.nonudehounds.com and thought I'd try to replicate it (for 1/10th of the cost).

I am finishing up a coat for my grey right now. I'm so proud of myself because I think it turned out pretty good for me not having much sewing experience.

I have a feeling though the jammies are going to be a lot more difficult and from the pic on nonudehounds, I don't have a complete idea of how to put it together.

I'm adding you to my blogroll!

Crystal

Anonymous said...

Everything happens in ebbs and tides.

Sounds like you had a great "re-run."

Anonymous said...

Getting back into running again sounds like a great challenge, but you are doing so well!! Congrats on getting back into it! Cos keeps you going, and I loved your description of how happy he was to get out again! Very motivating!! keep it up!

All my tomorrows said...

Well I've been there at "that place" about a 100 times now (though I'm determined NOT to go there again because I'm gettin' too old to have to keep working to get back in shape!) so I feel your pain.

The best I can tell you is: just take a day at a time (good advice I heard 'somewhere' about EVERYTHING in life) and enjoy the journey (cliched, but true) and don't compare yourself to others (something I personally always have to work on with running in particular as I seem to always have running friends who can do 3 hour marathons or better. Ugh!).

I am rooting for you to keep at it steadily and I predict in a month's time you are going to feel GREAT about your progress.

(and I love your Madonna quote. Madonna has always been one of my 'exercise' heros. Back in the days of her 10 mile a day runs, she was a MANIAC, but very inspiring.)

Lori said...

Oh I so relate to this post. Gracie is my running partner and she has been left behind of late and she no longer looks lean and mean. Now she just looks mean. LOL! I also go through periods where a break is needed and the first 2 weeks back are tough but just remember why you run. Forget about time, distance or effort. Just breathe and remember that most are still sitting home eating muffins. Your mind will clear and all will be right again. A break is good because it gives your body a chance to get it together and your mind the ability to realize how good it is to run. You rock girl!

Thanks for the well-wishes on Miss Gracie. They say she will be running with me again in about 3 months. I hope so...I miss my pace buddy.

Anonymous said...

Go you! You know i'm behind you all the way... and really, the slow and steady pace not only wins the race, they're KEY to a lifetime of fitness...

Keep up the good work!

-a Madonna fan :o)
"Borderline, feels like i'm going to lose my mind..."