Running is a big question mark that’s there each and every day. It asks you, ‘Are you going to be a wimp or are you going to be strong today?' - Peter Maher, Irish-Canadian Olympian

Sunday, September 24, 2006

Babka Bonanza!

"You can't beat a babka" - Elaine Benes

Months ago, I saw a recipe posted on Shmooedfood, for vegan chocolate babka. Man, I thought I couldn't get any luckier! I have never had babka, didn't even really know what it was but I was very familiar with the Seinfeld episode where Jerry and Elaine have to settle for the cinnamon babka because the chocolate babka was sold out. I bookmarked the babka recipe and finally got around to making it Friday. Of course, I had to double the recipe and I ended up with a lotta babka :-)
B and J came over and we had broccoli and tofu calzones (which I think were also pretty darn good) and I sent them home with some babka (I really just like saying babka!)

Babka dough:










This was a very rich and dense dough. My little babkas:










I don't think mini loafs are the traditional babka form but it is what Jennifer suggested in the recipe so it is what I used.
Yummmmmmmmmmmmmmm....babkas! Lots of gooey chocolate and streusal toppings....











This recipe is definitely a repeat. I don't think I will be making it every week because it is kind of complicated. And I really don't need to be eating babka every week - I need to lose weight, not babka it on :-)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oy, nice babkas, bay-bee! :o) Lookin' G-O-O-D, trac, no kiddin'!

All my tomorrows said...

Wow......must make babka...soon.

Lori said...

Babka, Babka, Babka! Yes, it is fun to say. MMMMMM...now I'm starving for sweets and I don't get a cheat meal for 6 more days! Darn you! I bet they were sooooo good. Sigh. (I'm eating celery as I type this...sigh again.)

Sue said...

I remember growing up and have babkas at every Holiday. My mom maiden name was Helstowski!!!! The traditional form is round - like in a 9" pan. It looked soooooo good!!! I have to get the instructions on how to make it!

runswithdog said...

The babka really is good :-) and the dough does look like a dimpled, cellulite-d butt :-) But you ate it anyways, right Jen?

Sue, I was thinking that it was traditionally made in a bundt type pan - do you think I could use a 9" cake pan?

Anonymous said...

babka! babka! babka! Fun to say, and they sure look GOOD! Ohh, the chocolatey middle... I'm sure it was worth all the effort you put in! They look like they came out perfect!

Bridget said...

Those damn things are dangerous! I ate TWO mini-loaves within 24 hours!!!! It was the type of dessert that calls your name and you can't leave it alone until is it all gone!! Must...eat...Babka...

Sue said...

What I remembered it was round - I don't remember a whole in it, but of course we would just pull a piece off and eat it. There were no knifes involved. I remember having alot of it during Easter...every great aunt and uncles's house that we went to we had to have a piece of Babka!!!! No wonder I am in the shape that I'm in!!!! But the next time I talk to my mom I'll ask her.