Running is a big question mark that’s there each and every day. It asks you, ‘Are you going to be a wimp or are you going to be strong today?' - Peter Maher, Irish-Canadian Olympian

Thursday, August 10, 2006

Some clarification

I received a comment privately so I want to elaborate - the greyhound is leashed! LOL

Seriously, greyhounds are sighthounds and are trained to give chase. They can be up to their full speed in three strides and that full speed can reach 40 mph. If one gets away, they are very difficult to catch. Greyhounds should always been kept securely on a leash or in a fenced area. In these pictures, Wilson is leashed and you can see his leash in the water if you look closely. Never take a chance with your hound - they rely on you to keep them safe :-)

3 comments:

Candi said...

Good advice! My dogs are not grey hounds, but they'd certainly run off if something caught their attention! The one time I figured my Labrador would be fine, he bolted! I won't be trusting him again! hee hee.

Your grey hound is gorgeous!!

runswithdog said...

The greyhound in the pictures is Wilson and he lives with my friend Wendy. He is one of my all-time favorite dogs. I have two greys, Mal and Cosmo. Here is their webpage http://runswithdog.com/html/the_boys.html

I sometimes envy people when I see them with their dog off leash in a park or on the street. It isn't worth risking the safety of your dog. We had a local lost greyhound in this area about 2 years ago. He was a dog that the owner let run off leash thinking that he wouldn't run off. He was lost for 11 days but he was finally found by people putting in many, many hours searching.

KleoPatra said...

Wow, lovely photos and a lovely dog there! Of course, i think all dogs are wonderful...