Running is a big question mark that’s there each and every day. It asks you, ‘Are you going to be a wimp or are you going to be strong today?' - Peter Maher, Irish-Canadian Olympian

Monday, July 17, 2006

Runs with dog?

Not this morning! We are in the midst of a heat wave - high temps and lots of humidity. So Mo stayed home and I heard him howling as I walked down the street. He would have been miserable though if I took him.

Willow Bay is in one month. It is time for me to get serious. Today's run was supposed to be 3.1 miles (race distance) I got up early and hit the pavement by 7 am. It was 78 degrees and a felt like a wet blanket. My goal was to do two big loops and one little loop - 3.1 miles. I ended up only doing the two big loops for a distance of 2.8 miles in 31.20 - 11:11 m/m.

Why do I do this to myself? It is becoming very apparent to me (after running for 3 years) that running just really isn't my thing. At one point this morning, I thought I could go faster if I just walked! I mean, c'mon! According to some 'official' definitions, I don't even run but only jog. 8 minute miles constitute running.

I have been trying to incorporate some of the posture and running techniques of the POSE method. It helps a little but my calves cramp up really quick. Maybe there is another form of exercise that will work better for me.........

No comments: